printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Assisting Foreign Companies Doing Business in the U.S.


Q. How do I register or incorporate a business in the United States?

A. The incorporation of foreign business entities is regulated at the state level (as opposed to the federal or national level) in the United States. The application process will vary from state-to-state. Check the list of State Business Development Offices.

Q. How do I get Information on importing products into the United States?

A. The U.S. Customs Service provides an overview of the foreign commercial importing process and requirements. For more information go to Commercial Importing Procedures and Requirements.

The Department of Commerce's Trade Information Center provides information and web links to importation procedures.

Q. Is there an agency that can assist me in inquiring about the economic opportunities and interests in various states?

State and Local Government on the Net is a resource guide to government-sponsored Internet sites that allows you to search by state.


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.