printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Applying for Presidential Permits for Liquid Pipelines

The Secretary of State has the authority to issue Presidential Permits for cross-border liquid (water as well as petroleum product) pipelines and other cross-border infrastructure. The Office of International Energy and Commodity Policy receives and processes permit applications.

If you plan to request a Presidential Permit for a cross-border liquid pipeline, please call 202-647-1291. (For information on the permit submitted for the Keystone TransCanada project, please see

In consultation with the Department of State, the Department of Energy is responsible for permitting cross-border electricity transmissions lines, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issues cross-border natural gas pipeline permits.

E.O. 13337 of April 30, 2004


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.