printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Teaching Overseas

Teacher Training

FAST TRAIN Foreign Affairs Spouses Teacher Training Project - Offered through the Graduate School of Education at George Mason University, this program prepares teachers for international assignments and offers alternative licensure. FAST-TRAIN also offers a second program for those interested in obtaining a Master's Degree in Multilingual/Multicultural Education, with an emphasis on teaching as a second language (ESL). In addition, they offer two certificate programs, one in IB and one in Special Education.

The Lab School of Washington offers a training program for learning disabled (LD) tutoring. This annual program starts in the Fall.

The Lab School of Washington
4759 Reservoir Road NW
Washington, DC 20007
Tel: (202) 965-6600 / Fax: (202) 965-5106

Resources for Identifying Positions

The International Educator (TIE)
TIE is a private non-profit organization dedicated to helping overseas international schools find qualified teaching staff and helping qualified teachers find positions at these overseas schools. TIE services over 500 overseas, international schools around the world (outside the US). Grade levels range from pre-K-12.

PO Box 513, Cummaquid, MA 02637 USA
Tel: 508-790-1990 Fax: (508) 790-1922
Toll Free (USA): (877) 375-6668

Chronicle of Higher Education contains a large classified section advertising teaching positions overseas.

1255 23rd Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20037
Tel: (202) 466-1000

Making Contacts with Local Schools

Link to a list of international schools and contact information provided by the Office of Overseas Schools. Before moving to a new post, contact the local school or the Community Liaison Office coordinator at the embassy or consulate for information about teaching opportunities.

For more listings of international schools overseas, consult the  The ISS Directory of International Schools, available for purchase.

International Schools Services
15 Roszel Road
Princeton, NJ 08543
Tel: (609) 452-0990 / Fax: (609) 452-2690

Overseas Schools Assisted by the Department of State

The American-sponsored overseas schools assisted by the Department of State through the Office of Overseas Schools (A/OPR/OS) are nonprofit, non-denominational, independent schools, many of which were established on a cooperative basis by American citizens living overseas. During 1995-96, 190 schools received grant assistance and technical support from A/OPR/OS. Because they are private institutions, these schools hire their own staffs. Many of them hire Foreign Service spouses. A/OPR/OS updates and publishes annually a directory of these schools. It has information on organizations involved in the recruitment of teachers and administrators for international schools throughout the world. A/OPR/OS also has information on U.S. universities offering teacher certification and professional development programs at overseas locations.

Office of Overseas Schools
Department of State
Washington, DC 20522-0132
Tel: (202) 261-8200 / Fax: (202) 261-8224

Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS)

The Department of Defense recruits teachers for schools at military bases overseas. Contact DoDDS before arrival at post if possible, as applications for overseas positions are considered in the United States.

DoDDS Personnel Center
Recruitment Unit
4040 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203-1634

Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program

The Fulbright Program offers teachers an opportunity to switch positions with teachers overseas. Applicants must be currently teaching, be a U.S. citizen, and have 3 years full-time teaching experience.

Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program
600 Maryland Avenue, SW
Room 140
Washington, DC 20024
Tel: (800) 726-0479 / Fax: (202) 401-7203

Peace Corps

The Peace Corps uses volunteer teachers for elementary, secondary, normal and vocational schools, and universities. Some teaching experience is required. Applications must be made from the United States.

Recruiting Office
U.S. Peace Corps
1400 Wilson Blvd., Suite 400
Arlington, VA 22209
Tel: (800) 424-8580 / Fax: (703) 235-9189

Institute of International Education (IIE)

The library at the Institute of International Education posts listings of overseas teaching positions. This information is not available by phone, fax, or mail, but may be picked up in person if you are in New York.

Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Tel: (212) 883-8200 / Fax: (212) 984-5452

National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)

Contact NAIS about teaching opportunities at overseas independent schools that are members of this U.S.-based group.

National Association of Independent Schools
1620 L Street NW
Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036-5605
Tel: (202) 973-9732 / Fax: (202) 973-9790

Tutoring / Special Education

Another option for Foreign Service spouses is to provide individual or group tutoring. Many students enrolled in non-American schools or in small high schools that cannot offer a full range of courses are tutored or attend classes outside school hours. The post's education allowance can supplement the instruction allowance to pay for these programs. The supplementary instruction allowance can also be used to set up Advanced Placement courses. Families may pool their allowances to pay a tutor to teach a course.

Families with children in need of special education at posts where the schools do not offer special education programs often require the services of a teacher / tutor to carry out more comprehensive programs. Special educational allowances are available to pay these tutors.

To increase employment options, spouses going overseas may want to consider acquiring the necessary training to teach / tutor children with learning disabilities.

FAST TRAIN International Special Education Certificate - an online program that prepares professional educators for international assignments in the field of special education.

The Lab School of Washington offers a training program for learning disabled (LD) tutoring. This annual program starts in the Fall.

Teaching Certification

FLO Weblinks for Adult Education

Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.