printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Scholarships, Financial Aid and Student Internships

A cautionary note: Be wary of scholarship scams. Do not pay money to compete for a scholarship unless you are confident in the source. You can read about and report such scams at:

Scholarships for Eligible USG Family Members

  • American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) Merit Awards and Financial Aid Scholarships. The AFSA Scholarship Program provides children of Foreign Service employees: need-based, financial aid scholarships (for undergraduate study) and one-time only academic and art merit scholarships (for high school seniors). The Scholarship Fund grows primarily through individual and organization support and how its portfolio investments are performing. All donations to the AFSA Scholarship Fund are tax-deductible and are acknowledged upon receipt. On average, AFSA awards aid to approximately 90-100 Foreign Service children totaling over $200,000 a year. Awards range from $500 - $2,000. Applications are available beginning November 15 and the deadline is February 6. Visit AFSA's web page at for complete details or contact or tel: 202-388-4045, ext. 504.
  • DACOR Bacon House Foundation Dreyfus Fellowship Awards for students enrolled at Yale University who are children of a Foreign Service employee, active or retired. Email contact: or 202-682-0500 or 800-344-9127.
  • The Foreign Service Youth Foundation Awards and Scholarships:
  • Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund (FEEA).  FEEA sponsors the only merit-based scholarship competition program open exclusively to federal employees, their spouses, and their children--rewarding hard workers through our merit-based program. Applications are available January - March each year. This program awards more than 400 students from across 27 regions and contestants will win scholarships ranging from $500 to $7,000. Further information can be found on the website:
  • Children or grandchildren of Foreign Service personnel are given priority for the S. Pinkney Tuck Scholarship at Dartmouth College. However, it is based on financial need and would be offered if selected through the regular application process.
  • Children of Foreign Service personnel may qualify for the need-based scholarship at Yale, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert H. Kinney. Apply to Director of Financial Aid, email or 203-432-0360.
  • Daughters of Foreign Service personnel may qualify for The Polly Richardson Lukens Memorial Scholarship and the Gilan Scholarship (preference given for freshman) awards, based on financial need at Vassar College. Apply to, or 845-437-7547.
  • State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) members' scholarships are available for need-based, currently enrolled students Email Scholarship Coordinator at or 703-706-5019. Applications available in February. 

More Scholarship Information

Scholarship Search Engines, Databases, Tips and Advice

  • FastWeb - the largest free scholarship search engine. Includes a college search, as well.
  • Scholarship Database: A free and comprehensive scholarship database from various sources (such as universities, research organizations) all over the world.
  • Scholarship Experts: A free and comprehensive scholarship database that is very highly rated. They are affiliated with another website which assists students searching for colleges.
  • Scholarship search engine.
  • Scholarship America: Tips and advice on scholarship applications.

ROTC programs

Programs for Financing a College Education

  • Americorps - a service program, which will help pay off future or current student loans in exchange for community service. Information available:
  • Maryland Prepaid College Trust - information accessed through their web site at or by phone 1-888-463-4723.
  • Virginia Education Savings Trust (VEST) - information on various Commonwealth of Virginia plans including, Virginia College Savings Plan, Prepaid Education Program (VPEP), and the Virginia Education Savings Trust (VEST) accessed through their web site  NOTE: The VEST plan is available to all U.S. citizens or resident aliens, and does not restrict use of the funds to a Virginia school. You can ask questions or request a folder of information from their toll free number: 1-888-567-0540, or 804-786-0719.

Financial Aid Information

Note for Financial Aid: It is essential that parents file all the required financial assistance materials by the deadline posted for each individual college. A family must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be considered for financial assistance. It is recommended that parents file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. See for more information. Some colleges also require the CSS Profile. CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE is the financial aid application service of the College Board. For more information, see Students accepted at or currently enrolled at a university or college should check with the institution's Financial Aid Office to learn more.

Student Internships

  • provides information on thousands of Federal Government job opportunities. There is no charge for using and users are not required to preregister to look for a job.
  • Student Internships at the Department of State: Student Programs enable students to obtain job experience in a foreign affairs environment. Some students work in Washington, D.C., while others have the opportunity to work at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.
  • Rising Star Internships: Internship search engine.

Internships Programs that Offer Tuition Assistance

These agencies offer a range of undergraduate, graduate, summer, and internship programs. Generally they pay costs toward tuition, offer a salary, and expect you to commit to employment with them for a number of years after completing a 4 year college program or graduate school at the university of your choice. They are needs based awards but not dependent upon parents being in government employment. Contact them directly for more information. Look under the employment section of these web sites.

  • Defense Intelligence Agency's Undergraduate Training Assistance Program and other programs - or phone DIA, Civilian Personnel Division, Resources Manager, 202-231-4713 /
  • National Security Agency Undergraduate Training Program and other programs - Tel: 1-800-669-0703 or 410-854-4725.
  • Central Intelligence Agency Undergraduate Scholar Program - College Relations or Tel: 703-613-8388.

Tax Information

IRS Helpline: 1-800-829-1040, You can download forms and information: Tax Benefits for Higher Education, publication 970.

FLO Web links for College and Beyond

College and Beyond 
Educational Travel Allowance 
A Guide to Obtaining a Driver's License in the Washington Area 
When a Child Becomes an Adult


Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.