printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action


Divorce and the Foreign Service (pdf)

Frequently Asked Questions about Divorce in the Foreign Service

Employee Responsibilities During Impending Dissolution of Marriage or Domestic Partnership 

Travel of Children of Separated Families

Finding an Attorney

Former Spouse Benefits

Former Spouse Benefits under the Foreign Service Retirement System (Fact Sheet DS-5061) - The Department of State's Office of Retirement website has up-to-date information on former spouse benefits. Another good source of information is AskRNet (click on Frequently Asked Questions) where you can also submit your own questions. Contact the Department of State Office of Retirement at or call them at 202-261-8960 / 866-224-9053.

Additional Resources


Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.