printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Make Real Estate Arrangements


  • If not using a realtor and/or property manager, advertise for and interview tenants, conduct credit checks, and ar­range for rent payments.
  • Be sure leases include a "diplomatic clause" or "Foreign Service clause" in case you need to return unexpectedly.
  • Arrange for periodic inspec­tions (termite, furnace/AC checks) and lawn service, if needed.
  • Make a list of your preferred contractors, in case repairs need to be made on your property while you are away. 
  • Change your policy from homeowner's insur­ance to a fire dwelling policy including owners', landlords', and tenants' liability. See Chapter 6 Insurance of the Foreign Service Assignment Notebook: What Do I Do Now? 
  • Gather together manuals on appliances, special instructions, and anything else tenants or property managers need to know.
  • Ask a friend or neighbor to check on the property for you from time to time, even if using a property manager.  Leave your next door neighbors with your contact information, in case of an emergency situation with your property.
  • Foreign Service personnel may list their rental property with the Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide (AAFSW). AAFSW operates a Housing Office at the Department of State main building (Room 1252) on C. Street in Washington, DC.  Staffed by volunteers, the office maintains a listing of rental properties which DOS employees wish to rent. For more information about the Housing Office, email or call 202-647-3573 or 202-647-3086.

Return to Checklist

Back to Top

Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.