AARP on Self-Employment - www.aarp.org/money/careers/selfemployment
AllBusiness - www.allbusiness.com
• Good articles including helpful explanation of "Business Structures" at www.allbusiness.com/business-planning/business-structures/2976248-1.html
Association of Small Business Development Centers - www.asbdc-us.org
Business.gov - www.business.gov
• Guide to USG rules and regulations, provides access to services and resources for small businesses
Business Filings, Inc. - www.bizfilings.com
Business Know-How - www.businessknowhow.com
Business Owner's Toolkit - www.toolkit.cch.com
Business Plans - www.Bplans.com
• Lots of good resources, including sample plans for many types of small businesses
BusinessWeek magazine and website - www.businessweek.com
• Good articles on small business, including articles on how to organize the business such as "Should My Business Be a Corporation, Partnership, or an LLC?" at http://allbusiness.businessweek.com/article.asp?ID=1679&CenterID=25&CatID=1769&dup=true and
"Comparing a Sole Proprietorship with a Partnership and a Corporation" at http://allbusiness.businessweek.com/article.asp?ID=1244&CenterID=31&CatID=1799
The Company Corporation - www.corporate.com
• Includes "Different Forms of Business Entities" which offers a handy chart comparing different types of businesses at www.corporate.com/entity-comparison.jsp.
Entrepreneur - www.entrepreneur.com
• Magazine and website featuring information on buying and operating small businesses
• Lots of good information (e.g., "Start a Business ...Even After 50" and "Do You Really Have What It Takes?") and helpful tools (e.g., "Calculate Your Start-up Costs").
• They offer "Startup Kits: Quick Guides To Today's Popular Startups," including personal concierge, event planning, import/export, arts and crafts, adventure/specialty travel agency, and pet-related products and services.
• Also includes several good guides on how to organize a small business: "Business Structure Basics" by Thomas J. Stemmy; "75 Startup Secrets" from Entrepreneur's StartUps - March 2006 (Go to subtitle "To Inc. or Not to Inc.?"); and "How--and Why--to Incorporate Your Business"
Fortune - http://money.cnn.com/smbusiness/index.html
• Good resources in their "Ultimate Resource Guide"
Government Express - www.governmentexpress.com/resources-online.html
• Provides tools and information for small business government contractors to enter the USG market
Internal Revenue Service - www.irs.gov
• Small Business and Self-Employed One-Stop Resource - www.irs.gov/businesses/small/index.html
• Business Structure - www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98359,00.html
Internet Senior Success Center - Seniors Home Business - www.internetseniorsuccess.com/index.htm
MoreBusiness.com - www.morebusiness.com
• Includes "Incorporating Your Business" at www.morebusiness.com/getting_started/incorporating/
LegalZoom Inc. - www.legalzoom.com
• Online legal services center
My Corporation - www.mycorporation.com
National Small Business Association (NSBA) - www.nsba.biz
Senior Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) - www.score.org
• Excellent mentoring service
Small Business Administration - www.sba.gov
• Very helpful and informative website with key resources such as "Business Startup Guide," "Checklist for Starting a Business," "Startup Basics," and "Small Business Planner - Get Ready - Forms of Business Ownership"
• Offers some online courses and lists courses to be held all over U.S.
Small Business Development Centers - www.sba.gov/sbdc
Small Business Franchise.com - www.smallbusinessfranchise.com
• Provides information on starting a business or buying a franchise
Startup Nation - www.startupnation.com
• Website, e-newsletter, and radio show all offering expert advice from the Sloan Brothers and others
Tax Tips 4 U from the American Bar Association's Section of Taxation - www.abanet.org/tax/taxtips4u/index.html
"IRS Advice on Independent Contractors vs. Employees"
The Best Home Businesses for the 21st Century
Tarcher, Third edition, 1999
Edwards, Paul and Sarah
Finding Your Perfect Work
How to blend your personal goals and dreams with the practical realities of earning a meaningful and prosperous livelihood working on your own.
Tarcher, Revised edition, 2003
Start Your Own Business: The Only Start-up Book You'll Ever Need
Pink, Daniel H.
Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
A contemporary classic. The new paperback features a comprehensive 30-page resource guide that explains the basics of working for yourself (how to get started, where to find health insurance, how to market yourself) and includes 101 Free Agent Survival Tips culled from successful solo workers nationwide.
Warner Business Books, Reprint edition, 2002
101 Best Home Businesses
American entrepreneurs with 101 business examples perfect for every lifestyle, budget, and personality. This book has specific information and resources that the reader can use immediately to get started.
Career Press, Second edition, 2001