printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Pets and International Travel

Attention Foreign Service pet owners! New airline rules impact shipment of pets from post to post!
The Transition Center advises pet owners to review carefully their travel plans for upcoming international moves. Whether returning to the United States or moving overseas, pet owners need to determine an airline carriers pet policies on live animals as excess baggage, cargo, and in-cabin before booking your pet.

The DOS Transportation Office has added clarification with regard to the GSA Waiver on pet travel. If United cannot guarantee shipment of the pet to the point of destination (interlining), then FS pet owners are authorized to use another carrier with some caveats (i.e., if in Europe must use an EU airline) and they may have to cost construct the difference between the United contract passenger fare and the other airline passenger fare.

Stay posted with updates about United and their pet shipping policies for Foreign Service employees PCSing on official orders by checking the AFSA website frequently.

The Transition Center will continue to post any new developments with regard to these policies on our website. It is important for pet owners to determine which carrier has the contract for their travel route and what the expenses will be.

Customs and Border Protection News for Pets Entering the U.S. as Cargo
If a pet owner ships a pet to the U.S. as cargo using a pet shipper, and the pet owner plans on having the pet collected by a professional shipper, the pet owner should download CBP Form 7501. After completing the appropriate sections of this form, the owner should fax or scan this information along with a copy of the airway bill, the health certificate papers and a copy of the owners driver's license or passport to the pet shipper. The shipper can deliver this form and accompanying papers to the Custom's office at the airport prior to the pet's arrival. In essence, this will mean that the owner is authorizing clearance—not the shipper. This avoids the need to hire a customs broker. A friend or family member may collect and clear the pet without this form because they are not being paid for this service.

Airline policies regarding other pets may vary; contact airlines directly for additional information. For information regarding the regulations of service animals/service dogs in air transportation, check the website The travel policies of U.S. airlines with regard to shipping animals are subject to change at any time. These policies are much more restrictive than in past years. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) policy regarding the shipment of pets traveling as cargo on passenger planes should also be carefully reviewed; and if your pet must be shipped as cargo using a commercial shipper, it is important to contact one early. The information below provides only general guidelines; it is crucial that you review all considerations with the airline and, if necessary, the pet shipper you plan to use. OBC recommends that you request written confirmation of reservations you make for pet shipment.

There are three ways you can ship your pet via the airlines:

  1. Your pet can travel on the plane with you (either in-cabin or in the cargo). In either case, your pet will be considered excess/accompanied baggage and charged accordingly. Some airlines no longer offer this option.
  2. You can book your pet on a separate flight. In this case, you will be charged the cargo rate, which is considerably more than excess baggage. Some airlines no longer offer this option.
  3. You can have your pet shipped through a licensed commercial shipper. You will be charged the cargo rate plus the shipper's fee. Several airlines require this method unless your pet is small enough to fit in the cabin.

Note: As a rule, animals 100 lbs. or larger (including the weight of the cage) will be charged as cargo even if they travel on the same plane as you. It is important to check with the airline if your pet is close to that weight and to determine if its policy may vary from this general 100 lb. rule.

Also see the Overseas Briefing Center's handout on Labeling Tips for Your Pet's Travel Carrier.


Typically, airlines require pet health certificates that are no older than 10 days, even if the receiving country accepts an older one. Some countries, however, require a health certificate to be even less than 10 days. This is an important point to check.

American Airlines
Reservations: 1 (800) 433-7300
Air Cargo Section: 1 (800) 227-4622

As of June 10, 2012, due to a reconfiguration in the cargo section of the Delta's 767-300 and 767-400 long-haul international planes, pets will no longer be allowed on these flights as excess/accompanied baggage in the cargo hold or as cargo in the cargo hold – only as in-cabin, if they are eligible. The following Delta waiver now exists only if the plane type for the flight is different than the 767-300 & 400 series: U.S. Government employees traveling to and returning from overseas and Hawaii on official PCS orders are now exempt from Delta's May 15th – Sept. 15th embargo. This means pet owners are allowed to ship their pets as accompanied baggage, barring any other daily temperature restriction. If you are a U.S. Government employee traveling on official PCS orders, please identify yourself as such to the Delta representative when making your pet shipping arrangements.
Reservations: 1 (800) 241-4141
Live Animal Desk: 1 (888) 736-3738 or 1 (888) SEND PET or 1 (866) 782-2746

United Airlines
Stay posted with updates about United and their pet shipping policies for Foreign Service employees PCSing on official orders by checking the AFSA website frequently.
If you are a U.S. Government employee traveling on official PCS orders, please identify yourself as such to the United representative when making your pet shipping arrangements.
International Reservations: 1 (800) 538-2929
Live Cargo: 1 (800) 825-3788


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.