printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

How to apply for a tax exemption card

To apply for a tax exemption card:


  • Using the Department’s E-Government Program, complete a request for a Tax Exemption Card.
  • Allow at least five to seven-working days for each tax card to be received in the mail before contacting the Office of Foreign Missions concerning the status of a tax-exemption card.


To apply for a renewal tax-exemption card:


  • Follow the procedures outlined above.


To apply for a replacement tax-exemption card (lost or stolen):


  • Follow the procedures outlined above.
  • If a tax card is lost or stolen, the mission must submit a diplomatic note to OFM explaining when and where the card in question was lost or stolen. OFM will not produce the replacement card until the aforementioned note is provided.
  • In the event of a lost or stolen card, the Tax Exemption Card application for replacement will be held for 30 days before processing. This will allow time for the lost or stolen card to be returned.


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.