1. The High Officials of the Friends of Democratic Pakistan Group, which was established in New York on 26 September 2008, met in Abu Dhabi on 17 November 2008 to discuss parameters of the work of the Group. The meeting was co-chaired by Ambassador Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry of Pakistan and Dr. Tariq Ahmad Al-Heedan of UAE, and was attended by the senior officials of Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, European Union and European Commission and a representative of the United Nations. The High Officials expressed their thanks to the government of UAE for hosting the meeting.
2. The High Officials recognized that the Friends initiative has signified that the friends of Pakistan stand shoulder to shoulder with it in its journey to build a strong, progressive and prosperous Pakistan.
3. The High Officials noted that Pakistan faces formidable challenges, and well coordinated international cooperation with Pakistan is needed to address those challenges. They affirmed the need for the members of the Group to build strategic partnerships with the Government of Pakistan to promote economic development and financial stability, address energy needs, build institutions, and bring peace and stability in the region.
4. The High Officials discussed and adopted a Work Plan of the Group, the salient features of which are as follows:
a. Cooperation is envisaged in four broad areas: Development, Security, Energy, and Institution building.
b. Expert level meetings will be held in Islamabad on each of the above mentioned areas of cooperation. All members of the Group will be invited to attend these meetings to be held on 13-16 January 2009.
c. At each expert level meeting, the concerned Pakistani authorities will make presentations on the issues involved indicating also the requirements in terms of financial resources, expertise, and/or technology. After discussions, specific recommendations will be prepared.
d. Focal points will be identified to ensure better coordination.
e. Suggestions were made about a possible Trust Fund, the details of which need to be discussed further.
5. The High Officials were given briefings on the following areas by the concerned Pakistani high officials:
a. State of Pakistan’s economy and negotiations on IMF package
b. Projects on Development cluster
c. Projects on Security cluster
6. The High Officials further noted that efforts in public diplomacy need to be made to reach out to the business community and media to positively project the Friends initiative.
7. The High Officials discussed the organizational matters and agreed that the Group will take decisions by consensus.
8. The High Officials noted the need to ensure coordination for the Group. Modalities for the setting up of this coordination/support office will be worked out through consultations with the United Nations.
9. The High Officials recommended that the Ministerial Meeting of the Group may be held in Islamabad in February 2009 on dates to be identified in due course.
17 November 2008
Back to Top