(Adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 3, 2008)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN resolutions AG/RES. 2162 (XXXVI-O/06) and AG/RES. 2330 (XXXVII-O/07), “Mechanism to Follow Up on Implementation of the Inter-American Convention on the Prevention, Punishment, and Eradication of Violence against Women, ‘Convention of Belém do Pará’” (MESECVI), in which the General Assembly took note of the report of the Permanent Council on implementation of the follow-up mechanism; and
That the Convention of Belém do Pará is the only specific, binding international legal instrument on gender-based violence and has become an important framework in which the states parties thereto undertake to implement policies, laws, and national and regional action programs to eradicate violence against women;
That the Statute of the Mechanism to Follow Up on Implementation of the Inter-American Convention on the Prevention, Punishment, and Eradication of Violence against Women, “Convention of Belém do Pará” (MESECVI) has been in effect since 2004, as a means of assessing progress and trends in the fulfillment of the objectives of the Convention and facilitating cooperation among the states parties and with the member states of the Organization of American States (OAS);
That to date 32 member states have ratified the Convention of Belém do Pará;
That, despite the efforts made by the countries of the region, violence against women continues to be an area of special concern;
That the first multilateral evaluation round of the MESECVI has arrived at its final phase, which demonstrates the interest and support of the states parties in building a genuine instrument for progress in punishing and eradicating gender-based violence in the Hemisphere;
That the OAS General Secretariat, through the Permanent Secretariat of the Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM), serves as the secretariat to the organs of the MESECVI, with advice, where appropriate, from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and other areas of the General Secretariat; and
That the human and financial resources available to the technical secretariat of the MESECVI are not sufficient to ensure the Mechanism’s full and effective functioning; and the valuable financial and human resources provided by the Government of Mexico to the MESECVI over the past year,
1. To take note of the report of the Permanent Council on the activities of the Mechanism to Follow Up on Implementation of the Inter-American Convention on the Prevention, Punishment, and Eradication of Violence against Women, “Convention of Belém do Pará” (MESECVI).
2. To welcome the progress of the first multilateral evaluation round of the MESECVI; and to express its conviction that this exercise will contribute significantly to achievement of the objectives set forth in the Convention.
3. To congratulate the states parties on their efforts to meet the objectives of the Convention; and once again to urge those states that have not yet done so to designate their experts and competent national authorities, so as to ensure the full implementation and success of the Mechanism.
4. To thank the Government of Mexico for its continuing contribution to the Mechanism; and to invite all states parties and states not party to the Convention, permanent observers, international financial institutions, and civil society organizations to contribute to the Specific Fund established in the Organization of American States (OAS) to finance the MESECVI’s operations.
5. To reiterate its gratitude to the Permanent Secretariat of the Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM) for its support of the states parties in the process of implementation of the MESECVI; and to thank it for its important role, as technical secretariat of the Mechanism, in the fulfillment of the objectives of the Convention of Belém do Pará.
6. To urge the states parties to the Convention and all OAS member states to strengthen the MESECVI and hemispheric cooperation in combating violence against women, including the participation of experts in meetings of the Committee of Experts (CEVI).
7. To encourage the states parties to the Convention to provide economic support or human resources to the MESECVI to enable it to comply with its work calendar and to ensure its optimal functioning.
8. To request the Secretary General, in accordance with available financial resources and with the agreement of the Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Affairs (CAAP), to allocate the human, technical, and financial resources needed to enable the CIM to continue supporting the implementation of the MESECVI.
9. To request the Secretary General to explore the possibility of holding a donors’ meeting to make it possible to obtain the resources needed for the MESECVI to function.
10. To thank the Government of the Argentine Republic for hosting the Third Meeting of the Committee of Experts (CEVI) of the MESECVI, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from July 18 to 20, 2007; and to urge member states to lend their support to enable the meetings of the CEVI to be held in the states parties to the Convention, as far as possible on a rotating basis.
11. To thank the Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for its commitment to hosting the Second Conference of States Parties to the Convention of Belém do Pará, to be held on July 9 and 10, 2008, which will consider and adopt the Hemispheric Report on the first multilateral evaluation round of the MESECVI.
12. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth regular session on the implementation of this resolution, the execution of which shall be subject to the availability of resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.