(Adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 8, 2010)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT General Assembly resolution AG/RES. 2493 (XXXIX-O/09), “Observations and Recommendations on the Annual Report of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission,” and other resolutions related to the topic;
HAVING SEEN the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council (AG/doc.5111/10 add. 1) on the 2009 annual report of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) (CP/doc.4489/10);
CONSCIOUS of the need for strengthening efforts to address the world drug problem; and
CONSCIOUS ALSO of the need for increased international cooperation and technical assistance to member states, to enhance their capacity to deal with the world drug problem,
1. To take note of the 2009 annual report of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) to the General Assembly (CP/doc.4489/10) and to congratulate CICAD on the progress made.
2. To take note of the work done by the CICAD Expert Groups; and to invite them to continue carrying out the mandates given to them by the Commission.
3. To invite the member states to consider making voluntary financial contributions to ensure the actions of the Commission and the programs carried out by its Executive Secretariat, to thank the international donor community for its contributions, and to invite it to continue its support to CICAD.
4. To acknowledge the work of CICAD and to urge it to continue, through its Executive Secretariat, to provide technical assistance, training, and support to member states in the areas of drug demand reduction, supply reduction, drug-related research and information systems, alternative, integral, and sustainable development, institution-building, money laundering control, and education, with a view to strengthening member states’ capacities.
5. That the execution of the activities envisaged in this resolution will be subject to the availability of financial resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.
6. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its forty-first regular session on the implementation of this resolution.