(Adopted at the fourth plenary session held on June 4, 2002)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
RECALLING that the Heads of State and Government, meeting at the Second Summit of the Americas, instructed the Committee on Hemispheric Security to "analyze the meaning, scope, and implications of international security concepts in the Hemisphere, with a view to developing the most appropriate common approaches by which to manage their various aspects, including disarmament and arms control" and to "pinpoint ways to revitalize and strengthen the institutions of the Inter-American System related to the various aspects of Hemispheric Security," with a view to holding a Special Conference on Security in the OAS framework once these tasks had been completed;
CONSIDERING that the Plan of Action from the Third Summit of the Americas in Quebec City calls for "an experts meeting, before the Special Conference on Security, as a follow-up to the regional conferences of Santiago and San Salvador on CSBMs, in order to evaluate implementation and consider next steps to further consolidate mutual confidence";
RECALLING AS WELL AG/RES. 1643 (XXIX-O/99), "Work Program of the Committee on Hemispheric Security in Preparation for the Special Conference on Security" and AG/RES. 1795 (XXXI-O/01), "Preparations for the Summit-mandated Special Conference on Security";
TAKING NOTE of its resolutions AG/RES. 1121 (XXI-O/91), AG/RES. 1123 (XXI-O/91), AG/RES.
1353 (XXV-O/95), AG/RES. 1415 (XXVI-O/96), and AG/RES. 1570 (XXVIII-O/98) on cooperation for security in the Hemisphere, and AG/RES. 1179 (XXII-O/92), AG/RES. 1237 (XXIII-O/93), AG/RES. 1284 (XXIV-O/94), AG/RES. 1288 (XXIV-O/94), AG/RES. 1353 (XXV-O/95), AG/RES. 1409 (XXVI-O/96), AG/RES. 1494 (XXVII-O/97), AG/RES. 1566 (XXVIII-O/98), AG/RES. 1623 (XXIX-O/99), AG/RES. 1744 (XXX-O/00), and AG/RES. 1801 (XXXI-O/01) on confidence and security building measures;
NOTING WITH SATISFACTION the progress made in identifying and applying confidence and security building measures, particularly since the adoption of the Declarations of Santiago and San Salvador, which has helped to reduce factors that generate distrust and has contributed to the promotion of transparency and mutual confidence;
EMPHASIZING the importance of the Declaration of Santiago and the Declaration of San Salvador on confidence and security building measures;
REAFFIRMING that the application of confidence and security building measures, through practical and useful actions, will facilitate more far-reaching cooperation processes in the future in the areas of hemispheric defense and security; and
BEARING IN MIND that the deep changes that have taken place in the international system and the consolidation of democracy in the region, give opportunities for a constructive dialogue on security affairs and for cooperation on that field within the nations of the Hemisphere,
1. To convene the Summit-mandated Meeting of Experts on Confidence- and Security-Building Measures in the Region, in Miami, Florida in December 5-6, 2002 to evaluate implementation and consider next steps to further consolidate mutual confidence.
2. To express its appreciation to the Government of the United States and accept its offer to host the Meeting of Experts on Confidence- and Security-Building Measures in the Region.
3. To instruct the Permanent Council to prepare the Meeting of Experts, including the drafting and approval of the agenda and calendar.
4. To request the Permanent Council to transmit the conclusions and recommendations of the Meeting of Experts to the preparatory body of the Special Conference on Security as a contribution to the preparation of that Conference.
5. To request the Permanent Council to take into account the conclusions and recommendations of the fifth Conference of Defense Ministers of the Americas in preparing the Meeting of Experts.
6. To instruct the General Secretariat to lend support for holding the Meeting of Experts, within allocated resources approved in the program-budget and other resources.
7. To instruct the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-third regular session on the implementation of this resolution.