THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
Having seen the Annual Report of the Permanent Council to the General Assembly (AG/doc.4698/07 corr. 1), in particular the section on the Committee on Hemispheric Security;
RECALLING its resolutions AG/RES. 2007 (XXXIV-O/04) and AG/RES. 2109 (XXXV-O/05), "Disarmament and Nonproliferation Education";
BEARING IN MIND the determination of the international community to promote and adopt specific measures to foster a culture of peace and nonviolence in all countries of the world and the significant contribution that disarmament and nonproliferation education can make in adopting such measures;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT resolution 57/60, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 30, 2002, which welcomed the United Nations Study on Disarmament and Non-proliferation Education, prepared by the United Nations Secretary-General with the assistance of governmental experts; and taking note of the recommendations contained therein;
RECOGNIZING the valuable contribution of the said United Nations study to world efforts to promote a culture of nonviolence and peace among states;
RECALLING that some of the recommendations of that study are directed at regional organizations, and that the Organization of American States (OAS) can make a significant contribution to the implementation of these recommendations by promoting disarmament and nonproliferation education activities in the Hemisphere;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT resolution 61/73, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 6, 2006, which expressed appreciation toMember States, the United Nations, and other international and regional organizations, civil society, and nongovernmental organizations, which, within their purview, had implemented the recommendations made in the study, and encouraged them once again to continue applying them and to report to the Secretary-General on steps taken to that end; and
BEARING IN MIND the statement contained in the Declaration on Security in the Americas about the role of education for peace in the Hemisphere,
1. To reiterate to member states the invitation contained in resolution AG/RES. 2109 (XXXV-O/05) to give consideration to the recommendations contained in the aforementioned United Nations study, in order to strengthen education and training for disarmament and nonproliferation.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council to continue to identify, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security, relevant actions that could be implemented by the Organization of American States (OAS) to promote disarmament and nonproliferation education in the Hemisphere.
3. For the purpose set out in the preceding paragraph, to request the Permanent Council to consider the topic at a meeting of the Committee on Hemispheric Security in which the member states and special guests may express their views thereon, including proposals for action by the OAS and pertinent information on measures taken by member states to promote disarmament and nonproliferation education.
4. To request the Secretary General to forward this resolution to the United Nations Secretary-General.
5. To instruct the Permanent Council to carry out the activities mentioned in this resolution within the resources allocated in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.
6. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-eighth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.