printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

U.S.-Canada Border Crossings

Under Executive Order 11423, as amended, the Secretary of State has the authority to receive applications for and to issue Presidential permits for the construction, connection, operation, or maintenance of certain facilities at the borders of the United States with Canada and Mexico. Permits are required for the full range of facilities at the border, including land crossings, bridges, pipelines, tunnels, conveyor belts, and tramways. This authority applies to all new border crossings and to all substantial modifications of existing crossings at the international border.

The Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs receives permit applications for most facilities at the Canadian and Mexican borders, except:

If you plan to submit an application for a Presidential permit for Canada, please read a detailed description of the application process and contact us via e-mail at or via phone at 202-647-2185 or 202 647-3030. 

For related information, please see the Federal Highway Administration's Border Transportation Planning website.


Do you already have an account on one of these sites? Click the logo to sign in and create your own customized State Department page. Want to learn more? Check out our FAQ!

OpenID is a service that allows you to sign in to many different websites using a single identity. Find out more about OpenID and how to get an OpenID-enabled account.