R 170048Z Sept 03
Fm Secstate WashDC
To All Diplomatic and Consular Posts
Special Embassy program
UNCLAS STATE 266816
Subject: Definition of "immediate family member" for purposes of 212(f) visa ineligibilities for Burmese applicants
REF: RANGOON 1013
1. The Section 212 (f) Presidential Proclamation for Burma suspends the entry into the United States as immigrants and nonimmigrants of persons who formulate, implement, or benefit from policies that impede Burma's transition to democracy or who benefit from such policies, and the immediate family members of such persons. The Secretary of State has responsibility for administration of the proclamation, including for identifying persons covered by it.
2. For purposes of administering the 212(f) proclamation for Burma, the Department has decided to consider someone to be within the scope of the language " immediate family member" if the person is (A) the spouse, son, daughter, brother, or sister of the principal alien, or (B) a relative by blood or marriage, regardless of the degree of relationship, who resides regularly in the same household with the principal alien or who is financially supported by the principal alien.
Immediate family members may include:
- children, whether by blood or adoption, minor or adult, married or unmarried;
- spouses of married children;
- parents of spouses;
- siblings, their spouses, and their children.