Applications for the Virtual Student Foreign Service 2014-2015 program are closed – 3,385 students applied. Applications for the 2015-16 program will be July 2-22, 2015.
Students who apply to the 2014-15 program may be contacted in August for additional information or to schedule an interview by the offices considering candidates for eInternships. All applicants will be notified by mid-September, 2014 by firstname.lastname@example.org regarding their selection/non-selection for a VSFS position. eInterns will begin working with their office/post immediately.
Please refer to the instructions below for details on how to apply to the 2015-16 program. (Note: These screen shots may look slightly different as USAJobs continues to improve its services.)
1. Create an account with USAJobs. You can do so by clicking the “Create an account” link in the top left corner.
2.Create your resume using the USAJobs resume builder. You MUST submit your resume using this form.
Note: The USAJobs portal is used by every agency with the U.S. Government in an effort to centralize and streamline the application process for careers and jobs with U.S. government agencies. For the Virtual Student Foreign Service, we are only able accept applications through the online application. This does not apply to all U.S. government agencies that use USAJobs.
3. Go to the USAJobs position listing. (This can be found by searching “VSFS” or “Virtual Student Foreign Service.”)
4. Please read the Virtual Student Foreign Service application listing carefully.
5. Click “Apply Online.” This will be on the right side of the screen.
Note: If you have already begun an application, this button will read “Update Application.”
6.Select the resume you would like to use in your application and click “Apply for this position now!”
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT the end of the application.
7. This will take you here…
8. From USAJobs, you will go to the Department of State application portal to complete your application.
9. On this site, complete your application. You will be asked a series of questions regarding your eligibility and interests. You will be asked to identify the projects for which you are interested in being considered. (For a full list of projects, please refer to the VSFS website.) In this form, you will be asked to submit your statement of interest and be prompted to upload you transcript.
If you are unable to access the full application, please email email@example.com.