The 2018 Preparatory Committee for the 2020 NPT Review Conference took place in the Palais des Nations in the United Nations Office in Geneva, Switzerland from April 23-May 4, 2018. The Treaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons is the cornerstone of the nonproliferation regime. It entered into force in 1970, and 190 states have subscribed. The treaty covers three mutually reinforcing pillars—disarmament, nonproliferation, and peaceful uses of nuclear energy—and is the basis for international cooperation on stopping the spread of nuclear weapons. The basic bargain at the core of the NPT is sound: Countries with nuclear weapons will move towards disarmament; countries without nuclear weapons will not acquire them; and all countries can access peaceful nuclear technology.
As we approach the 50th anniversary of the NPT being opened for signature, the PrepCom was an opportunity for all NPT Parties to recommit themselves to preserving and expanding those benefits, and to focus on the common interests they all share in the success of the NPT. The head of the U.S. delegation to the NPT Preparatory Committee meeting was Dr. Christopher Ford, the U.S. Assistant Secretary for International Security and Nonproliferation.
- 04/23/18 Statement by Assistant Secretary Christopher Ford at the Opening of the 2018 NPT PrepCom
- 04/25/18 Statement by Assistant Secretary Ford at the NPT PrepCom / Cluster 1 – Disarmament
- 04/26/18 Ambassador Robert Wood: NPT PrepCom Cluster 1: Nuclear Disarmament and Security Assurances
- 04/27/18 Ambassador Robert Wood: NPT PrepCom Cluster 2 – Nonproliferation
- 04/29/18 Statement by Assistant Secretary Christopher Ford at the Second Session of the PrepCom for the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
- 04/30/18 Ambassador Robert Wood: NPT PrepCom Cluster 2: Regional Issues
- 05/01/18 U.S. Statement at NPT PrepCom in Cluster 3: Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy
- 05/02/18 Ambassador Robert Wood: NPT PrepCom Cluster 3 – Specific Issue-Withdrawal
- 05/02/18 Ambassador Robert Wood: NPT PrepCom Cluster 3 – Specific Issue Strengthened Review Process
- 05/04/18 NPT PrepCom: Closing Statement by U.S. Ambassador Robert Wood