The NPT allows for the parties to gather every five years to review its operation. At the 1995 Review and Extension Conference, the parties extended the Treaty indefinitely and formalized the practice of convening a Review Conference every five years. The 2020 NPT Review Conference will take place at the United Nations headquarters in New York from April 27-May 22. Ambassador Jeffrey Eberhardt, the President’s special representative for nuclear nonproliferation, is leading U.S. outreach to NPT States Party ahead of the RevCon.
The official 2020 NPT Review Conference page can be found at the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs.
Assistant Secretary Ford Remarks
- “Whither a Middle East WMD-Free Zone?”
- Inaugurating a New and More Realistic Global Disarmament Dialogue
- Rebutting False Disarmament Narratives in Support of NPT Diplomacy
- Lessons From Disarmament History for the CEND Initiative
- The Structure and Future of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty
- Negotiating the NPT, 50 Years on: Some Lessons for the Future