The Deployment Stress Management Program (DSMP) is located within the Bureau of Medical Services in Mental Health Services and provides information, education, referrals, initial assessment and brief treatment for problems related to the stress of deployment to high threat posts, overseas crises and other stressful situations encountered by Foreign Service Officers, family members and State Department employees overseas. The DSMP works in cooperation with the Foreign Service Institute Transition Center, Family Liaison Office, , Employee Consultation Service and other Federal Agencies to provide support for DoS and USAID employees and their families before, during, and after deployment.
Deployment Stress Management Program
Bureau of Medical Services
1800 North Kent Street
Arlington (Rosslyn), VA 22209
Oversees the development and implementation of the Deployment Stress Management Program. Provides assessment and treatment services to State Department employees experiencing the effects of being assigned to high stress/high threat posts.
Clinical Social Workers
Provides education/training, prevention, assessment and treatment services to State Department /USAID employees experiencing the effects of being assigned to high stress / high threat / unaccompanied tours (HS/HT/UT).
Provides administrative support to the Director and Social Workers and serves as general office manager.
The Deployment Stress Management Program (DSMP) develops resilience and provides effective preventive psychological health support; prevention, intervention, assessment, treatment, counseling, education and referral services to State Department and USAID personnel who have served in High Stress/High Threat posts. The DSMP provides services throughout the deployment cycle from pre-deployment to reintegration.
Promote and maintain the long-term health of Foreign Service Officers, USAID, Civil Servants, Department of State Employees, and their Family Members, USG employees serving overseas, and Locally Employed Staff. Provide education, consultation, assessment, treatment, counseling, and referral services. Develop and administer programs that promote positive psychological health, prevention, early identification, and treatment of mental health issues before, during, and after deployment to high stress, high threat tours.
- Department of State employees who are experiencing psychological health problems subsequent to their service in high stress, high threat, danger pay assignments may contact their overseas Health Unit Foreign Service Medical Provider or RMO/P in their region for DSMP referral.
- Any employee including Washington or U.S. based may also self refer in person, telephonically, (703-875-4828), or by email MEDDSMP@state.gov.
- During prevention/training or briefings, employees are advised that they can contact DSMP directly for confidential information, counseling, resilience building, or a diagnostic evaluation.
- Any employee returned to the Washington area on MEDEVAC will have a MEDevac coordinator within Foreign Programs (for medical/surgical problems) or within Mental Health Services. If initial evaluation suggests that the employee has deployment-related psychological health problems, the MEDevac coordinator can request an evaluation and recommendation from the DSMP. If employee has PTSD, the employee will be offered treatment by DSMP. At the conclusion of therapy the employee will be referred to Mental Health Services for medical clearance determination for return to post and for follow up care.
- Any employee may contact Employee Consultation Service (703-812-2257) for referral to DSMP.
Medical/Security Clearances: Treatment for PTSD is not a reportable mental health condition during DS security clearance process. Cognitive Behavioral/Prolonged Exposure therapy for PTSD has a treatment success rate of 70-90% and a change in medical clearance occurs only if the employee has ongoing difficulties.
Services Provided by DSMP
- Group pre & post deployment briefings
- Individual pre & post deployment briefings (High Stress Assignment Outbrief)
Informational & Educational
- Information and Referral Services
- Educational Materials
Support Groups, Seminars & Workshops
- Post Deployment Support Group
- Meditation Practice groups
- Sleep Solutions: Improve Your Sleep without Medication Seminar Series
- Memory & Concentration
- Stress Reduction & Conflict Resolution
- Crisis management
- Brief supportive therapies
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy