In 2018, the Washington Foreign Press Center celebrated 50 years of serving the public. The Slideshow above highlights some moments within the history of the two Foreign Press Centers.
The United States government began its official support of foreign journalists covering the United States in 1946, when a Foreign Press Liaison Office was established in New York City for the hundreds of journalists arriving to cover the newly founded United Nations. The mission grew as foreign correspondents broadened their U.S. coverage to economics, finance and the arts. In 1961, the U.S. Information Agency (USIA) renamed the operation the Foreign Press Center (FPC). In 1968, USIA established a center in Washington, D.C., which is now located at the National Press Building.
USIA was merged into the Department of State in 1999, and the Foreign Press Centers became part of the Bureau of Public Affairs. For journalists working outside the region covered by the Washington and New York Foreign FPCs, please call (202) 504-6300 and you will be referred to an FPC staff member.