The Office of Management Strategy and Solutions (M/SS) is the Under Secretary for Management’s central management analysis organization. M/SS is comprised of three directorates, the Center for Analytics, Consulting and Advanced Projects, and Policy and Global Presence.
Center for Analytics
The Center for Analytics (CfA) is the U.S. Department of State’s official enterprise data and analytics capability. Led by the Chief Data Officer, CfA transforms data into bold insights that help over 75,000 employees – from working-level to the Secretary – make better management and foreign policy decisions.
CfA is where the science of analytics meets the art of diplomacy. Its mission is to expand data access and grow analytic expertise across the Department’s domestic bureaus and missions around the world. As a central data hub, CfA tackles inter-departmental projects, prioritizing data quality, interoperability, and governance. CfA’s goals include:
- Developing and implementing data management and analytics products.
- Increasing employee’s data management and analytics skillsets through training, workshops, and courses that empower personnel to independently clean data and conduct analyses.
- Promoting a culture accepting of analytics and data management that values the power of data in ensuring we are making the most knowledgeable recommendations.
- Enhancing technologies to allow the use of advanced analytics and data management.
- Creating an easily accessible, Department-wide infrastructure that facilitates data-sharing across bureaus and missions around the world.
Consulting and Advanced Projects
M/SS’ Consulting and Advanced Projects (CAP) directorate serves as the Department’s internal think-tank and consultancy for solving complex, enterprise-wide challenges. CAP has incubated innovative and strategic programs and projects that have saved thousands of hours of staff time, avoided millions of dollars in costs, increased staff resilience, and enhanced resource stewardship. CAP supports and advances foreign policy goals through developing tools, training, and technologies that focus on operational planning, project management, performance metrics, and continuous process improvement.
CAP is made up of four workstreams to meet the needs of solving complex 21st-century challenges for the Department:
- Teamwork@State – the Department’s in-house management consulting team, acts as neutral facilitators and provides detailed expertise and best practices to help teams across the Department address their unique challenges.
- Management Optimization & Applied Analytics – the Department’s team for providing analytic tools, performance benchmarks, and support for the global management platform.
- Advanced Projects – the Department’s incubation hub for solving enterprise-wide challenges. · The Greening Diplomacy Initiative – the Department’s coordinating body for global sustainability compliance, outreach, and innovation.
Policy and Global Presence
The Policy and Global Presence (PGP) directorate engages in and provides expertise on management policy with its Department and interagency partners to implement enterprise-wide goals and fulfill statutory requirements.
With a focus on professional excellence and integrity, the team works to continuously improve strategic governance, support Chiefs of Mission and their overseas management platforms, and optimize the alignment of Department resources with U.S. foreign policy priorities. Some recent projects include:
- Integrating legally mandated Overseas Presence Reviews of staffing levels at posts abroad with new data analytics tools.
- Enhancing the Department’s approach to managing global diplomatic presence through a cross-cutting decision-making process supported by the Enterprise Governance Board, a forum for senior leaders to provide input into enterprise-level decisions regularly.
- Modernizing the system to implement the National Security Decision Directive 38 Presidential directive that gives the Chief of Mission control of the size, composition, and mandate of overseas full-time mission staffing for all U.S. government agencies.