The Office of Management Strategy and Solutions (M/SS) is the State Department’s internal management policy, consulting, and data analytics capability. M/SS is comprised of three teams that provide management support to the Department’s domestic facilities and overseas posts.
The Policy and Global Presence (PGP) team develops policies and manages platforms that strengthen the Department’s strategic governance, accountability, and alignment of resources. PGP works throughout the Department and with interagency partners to address management policy needs. The team helps to improve strategic governance, foster interagency coordination on management and resources, support chiefs of mission and their responsibility for overseas management platforms, and optimize the alignment of Department personnel with U.S. foreign policy priorities. PGP’s goals include:
- Advancing the Department’s efforts to promote active risk management in decision-making to better enable diplomats to meet our foreign policy agenda.
- Strengthening planning and coordination for decisions related to USG presence overseas.
- Supporting Chief of Mission responsibilities by ensuring sound implementation of applicable U.S. law and Presidential directives.
Under the leadership of the Department’s Chief Data Officer, the Center for Analytics (CfA) serves as the Department’s enterprise data management and analytics capability empowering data informed diplomacy. From data visualization to Artificial Intelligence, the CfA transforms data into impactful insights, empowering over 75,000 employees – from working-level to the Secretary – to make more informed management and foreign policy decisions.
The CfA bridges the gap between the science of analytics and the art of diplomacy. Its mission encompasses expanding data access and fostering analytic expertise throughout the Department’s domestic bureaus and global missions. As a central data hub, the CfA strives to facilitate and deliver data and analytics to address the Department’s most urgent foreign policy and management challenges. The CfA’s objectives include:
- Cultivating a data-driven culture by recruiting, training, and incentivizing a workforce and workplace where data is routinely sought, valued, and fluently utilized for decision-making at all levels and geographies.
- Accelerating decisions through analytics by empowering the Department’s global workforce to utilize data by providing easy access to the Department’s data assets, modern analytics tools, and customer service to enable their use.
- Establishing mission-driven data management by implementing technology solutions to effectively create, collect, store, protect, and share data across the Department, the interagency, and with the public.
- Enhancing enterprise data governance by enabling oversight and coordination of Department data through effective stewardship, policies, process controls, and investment decisions that appropriately value data.
M/SS’ Consulting and Advanced Projects (CAP) team helps Department principals, bureaus, and posts solve their challenges, applying leading-edge management and mission expertise. The team identifies the Department’s management pain points and pushes the enterprise toward innovative solutions by convening stakeholders, using root cause analysis, employing a variety of project and program management tools and technologies, and facilitating conversations with teams. In implementing these approaches, CAP builds and strengthens relationships between overseas and domestic offices, Management bureaus, and across the entire Department. CAP’s overarching goals include:
- Greening the Department through climate adaptation, sustainability, and resilience.
- Improving Department outcomes by planning, developing, and partnering on enterprise projects and programs.
- Strengthening teams by building management skills and facilitating problem solving.
- Optimizing the management platform to improve customer satisfaction and cost efficiency.