The Threats: Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation
- Adversaries who produce propaganda disseminate misleading, deceptive, or inaccurate information with the intent to sway consumers’ beliefs, opinions, and perceptions.
- Actors who disseminate information they know to be inaccurate are engaging in disinformation campaigns, whereas actors who spread false information, but do not demonstrate a clear intention to mislead, are spreading misinformation.
Defending Against the Threats
- Identify, assess, and categorize novel technologies in this field.
- Match technologies to the most timely and acute needs of the U.S. government.
- Maintain a technology portal for testing and assessing these tools and technologies.
- Broker constructive engagements between the U.S. government and the tech sector to identify, expose, and defend against foreign propaganda and disinformation.