Department of State
The United States has imposed restrictions on activities with Iran under various legal authorities since 1979, following the seizure of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran.
The Department of State's Office of Economic Sanctions Policy and Implementation is responsible for enforcing and implementing a number of U.S. sanctions programs that restrict access to the United States for companies that engage in certain commercial activities in Iran.
- 11/20/18 Sanctions Announcement on Iran; Office of the Spokesperson; Washington, DC
- 11/05/18 Constraining Iran's Nuclear Program; Office of the Spokesperson; Washington, DC
- 11/05/18 Press Availability With Secretary of Treasury Steven T. Mnuchin; Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo; Washington Foreign Press Center; Washington, DC
- 11/05/18 Department of the Treasury: U.S. Government Fully Re-Imposes Sanctions on the Iranian Regime As Part of Unprecedented U.S. Economic Pressure Campaign; Washington, DC
- 11/02/18 Briefing on Iran Sanctions; Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo; Via Teleconference
- 11/02/18 Briefing With Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook; Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook; Press Correspondent's Room; Washington, DC
- 10/16/18 Treasury Sanctions Vast Financial Network Supporting Iranian Paramilitary Force That Recruits and Trains Child Soldiers; Department of the Treasury
- 10/15/18 Confronting Iran: The Trump Administration's Strategy; Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo; Foreign Affairs
- 08/16/18 Remarks on the Creation of the Iran Action Group; Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo; Press Briefing Room; Washington, DC
- 08/16/18 Briefing on the Creation of the Iran Action Group; Brian Hook, Special Representative for Iran; Washington, DC
- 08/06/18 Senior Administration Officials Previewing Iran Sanctions; Senior Department Official; Via Teleconference
- 08/06/18 White House Statement: From the President on the Reimposition of United States Sanctions with Respect to Iran
- 05/21/18 After the Deal: A New Iran Strategy; Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; The Heritage Foundation; Washington, DC
- 05/08/18 On President Trump's Decision To Withdraw From the JCPOA; Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; Washington, DC
- Treasury Department Resource Center
- Executive Order
- Executive Order FAQs
- Updated Wind Down FAQs
- White House Factsheet
Department of Treasury
The Department of Treasury also plays a primary role in enforcing sanctions against Iran. For more information on the Department of Treasury's sanctions implementation, please visit their website.