Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment
The Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment leads the State Department’s efforts to develop and implement international policies related to economic growth, energy, agriculture, the ocean, the environment, and science and technology.
The Assistant Secretaries of the functional bureaus and offices in the E family advise the Under Secretary and guide the policy direction within their jurisdiction. They include the following:
- Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs
- Bureau of Energy Resources
- Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs
- Office of the Chief Economist
- Office of the Science & Technology Adviser
These officials work closely under the leadership of the Under Secretary and with the Department’s regional bureaus and U.S. embassies and Consulates overseas to:
- Advance the Department’s economic development agenda;
- Elevate and intensify our efforts related to energy security, clean energy, and environmental sustainability; and
- Foster innovation through robust science, entrepreneurship, and technology policies.
The Under Secretary is the designated Ombudsperson for the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework.