Child Care and Preschool
Child Care Resources in the Washington, DC Area
- WorkLife4You is the Department of State’s 24/7 Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their family members. Services include expert guidance from WorkLife specialists, personalized referrals to helpful resources nationwide and online tools to help manage daily responsibilities and life events. For login information, email FLOAskEducation@state.gov. Services provided are for State Department employees and family members only. Overview of Emergency Backup Care and WorkLife4You – When child care plans fall through, try WorkLife4You’s Emergency Backup Care program. This service helps secure – and pay for – backup care when regular care plans are disrupted and is available in the U.S. and its territories.
- Foreign Service Institute (FSI) Child Care Center – Located on the FSI campus in Arlington, VA and provides an excellent curriculum-based program for infants through pre-school. For more information about the FSI Childcare Center, Contact the Overseas Briefing Center. The Overseas Briefing Center also offers a listing of childcare centers near FSI for Foreign Service families studying at FSI.
- Diplotots – Located at Columbia Plaza near the Harry S Truman building (Main State) and offers day care for children ages six weeks through kindergarten. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-663-3555
- Diplotots, Too – The State Department’s child development center located in the SA-17 building at the corner of 19 and F Streets NW. It offers children both interior and exterior play space as well as fun and educational classroom environments. Ages 6 weeks through kindergarten. Contact email@example.com or 202-485-6005 / 202-485-6004
- Foreign Service Institute Transition Center – Maintains a list of child care facilities and pre-schools near the Foreign Service Institute in Arlington, Virginia. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a current list.
- Our Kids – Links to child care information for Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Care.com – Helps families find child care, senior care, special needs care, tutoring and pet care
Preschool Resources in the Washington, DC Area
- The National Association of Education for Young Children (NAEYC) – Provides a search option to help you locate preschools within a 5-15 mile radius of your zip code
- Our Kids – Has an extensive list of preschools for Maryland, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia
Child Care at Post
- Overseas Child Care Report – The availability of child care centers overseas varies greatly, as does the quality and cost of caregivers in the home. The Community Liaison Office Coordinator provides an updated Overseas Child Care Report annually. These reports are viewable via intranet. Contact the FLO Education Team or the CLO for a copy of reports.
- Office of Overseas Schools – The Office of Overseas Schools provides a list of at-post schools which may have Pre-K programs available. Contact OverseasSchools@state.gov.
Summer Camp Resources
- Camp Guide from Washington Parent Magazine
- Summer Camp Resources for Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia
- American Camp Association
- Family Education
- WorkLife4You – Can develop a personalized list of summer camps for members. All permanent Department of State employees and their family members are eligible to use the service.
- ADDitude – Annual guide to camps and schools for children with learning differences.
- Summer 365 – Find a list of advisors committed to finding the best summer experience for your child.
- Arlington County Camps
- Fairfax County Park Authority Camps
- Falls Church Camps
- Prince William County Park Authority Camps