Although the Family Liaison Office (FLO) provides assistance to spouses of U.S. government direct hire employees who are regularly posted abroad with naturalization, FLO cannot assist with naturalization of children living abroad. In order for children to naturalize (derive citizenship) at the same time as their biological parent, they must meet all of the requirements below.

  • The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and
  • The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

USCIS may not automatically issue a naturalization certificate once a child naturalizes. Since the document may be needed later when the child applies for jobs or student loans, FLO recommends filing an N-600 so the child can receive his or her own certificate of citizenship.

In limited circumstances, a child living overseas may be able to pursue naturalization by filing an N-600K. Examples include when the child has a biological grandparent who is a U.S. citizen or the child was legally adopted by their U.S. citizen stepparent.

USCIS Resources

U.S. Department of State

The Lessons of 1989: Freedom and Our Future