Since 2012, the State Department and USAID have provided foreign assistance to help governments to improve budget transparency and to support civil society organizations promoting fiscal transparency. This work complements the role of the Fiscal Transparency Report.
To date, the Fiscal Transparency Innovation Fund (FTIF) has awarded approximately $40 million for projects benefitting over 65 countries to enhance budget transparency, advance public financial management, and improve the transparency of licensing and contracting in natural resource extraction. U.S. embassies largely manage these projects, which range from small assistance efforts aimed at training civil society and the media on budget transparency, to larger projects that assist government officials in strengthening budgeting and auditing processes.
How can FTIF help? FTIF funding can:
- Build public financial management capacity and strengthen financial management policies
- Facilitate pro-transparency legislative reforms at the local and national level
- Construct innovative tools for the public dissemination of budget documents
- Strengthen collaboration between government officials and civil society leaders and promote public participation in the budget process
- Empower civil society and media to monitor public funds and hold governments accountable for expenditures and public debt
- Fund other innovative approaches to advance fiscal transparency
For questions, please contact EB Fiscal Transparency at email@example.com