Foreign Affairs Life Skills Training
Life Skills courses and webinars prepare community members to effectively navigate the many transitions and adjustments required for success in their mobile lifestyle. These programs offer targeted training to all U.S. Government employees, adult family members, and children preparing for an overseas assignment. The continuum of training spans a range of relevant topics for those new to the foreign affairs experience, as well as those with transition concerns.
Online Training Resources
View these online training resources to learn about topics that will enhance understanding of an assignment to a U.S. mission overseas.
- So You’re an American? A Guide to Answering Difficult Questions Abroad – an online resource for all Americans living and working abroad who are eager to prepare for the many informal and unofficial questions they will receive while overseas. It is designed to build skills and confidence in responding to difficult questions about culture and nationality.
- Overseas Crisis Readiness – to help U.S. Government families and members of household prepare for a crisis overseas.
Webinars and Videos
The Transition Center offers a variety of webinars for the foreign affairs community. See webinars and videos
Life Skills classes are available to employees and eligible family members assigned to a mission overseas from all foreign affairs agencies.
Preparing for Foreign Affairs Life
- Protocol and U.S. Representation in the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ116) – Course Details
- Orientation to the Department of State for Foreign Affairs Agencies (MQ119) – Course Details
- Foreign Service Spouse Orientation (MQ120) – Email
- Cross Cultural Communication for the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ802) – Course Details
- Understanding the Foreign Affairs Lifestyle (MQ803) – Course Details
Employment for Family Members
- Basics of Overseas Employment for EFMs (MQ703) – Course Details
- Employment Tools for EFMs (MQ704) – Course Details
- International Development: Employment Options for EFMs (MQ705) – Course Details
- Entrepreneur Basics for EFMs – Webinar – Course Details
- Virtual Work Opportunities for EFMs – Webinar – Course Details
- Teaching and Working in Education Overseas for EFMs – Webinar – Course Details
- Legal Considerations for EFMs Working Overseas – Webinar – Course Details
- Regulations, Allowances and Finances in the Foreign Service Context (MQ104) – Course Details
- Tax Considerations for the Foreign Affairs Community – Webinar – Email
- Personal Finances and Investments for Foreign Affairs Personnel – Webinar – Email
- Estate Planning in the Foreign Service – Webinar – Email
Foreign Affairs Families with Children
- Educating Your Special Needs Child in the Foreign Affairs Community – Webinar – Email
- Young Diplomats Overseas Preparation (MQ250) – Email
- Encouraging Resilience in Your Foreign Affairs Child (MQ500) – Email (See Webinars for additional sessions)
Going Overseas and Logistics
- Going Overseas in the Foreign Affairs Community without Children (MQ200) – Email
- Going Overseas in the Foreign Affairs Community with Children (MQ210) – Email
- Moving Overseas Logistics for the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ220) – Email
- Moving Overseas Logistics for Foreign Affairs Youth (MQ230) – Email
- Traveling with Pets for the Foreign Affairs Community (MQ855) – Email