Child care, preschool, and summer camp options have become important considerations for many Foreign and Civil Service families. Check out resources for child care and preschools as well as summer camp options below.
Child Care and Preschool
Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP)
The Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP), established in 2001, authorizes the use of appropriated funds by executive agencies to provide a child care subsidy for federal civilian employees assigned domestically. GTM/ER manages the program and as of November 1, 2021, the eligible employee’s Total Family Income (TFI) threshold to qualify will increase from $120,000 to $170,000. Based on the eligible employee’s TFI, the plan will pay between 25-60% of the participant’s eligible child care expenses. Employees who think they may qualify for this program should review the eligibility requirements, how to apply, and contact details for the . For program questions, email CCSP@state.gov.
Child Care Resources in the Washington, DC Area
- is the Department of State’s 24/7 Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their family members. Services include expert guidance from WorkLife specialists, personalized referrals to helpful resources nationwide and online tools to help manage daily responsibilities and life events. For login information, email GCLOAskEducation@state.gov. Services provided are for State Department employees and family members only.
- Foreign Service Institute (FSI) Child Care Center – Located on the FSI campus in Arlington, VA and provides an excellent curriculum-based program for infants through pre-school. For more information about the FSI Child Care Center, Contact the Overseas Briefing Center. The Overseas Briefing Center also offers a listing of child care centers near FSI for Foreign Service families studying at FSI.
- Diplotots One (D1) and Diplotots, Too (D2) – The State Department’s child development centers offering day care for children ages six weeks through kindergarten. For information on Diplotots One located at Columbia Plaza (SA1) near the Harry S Truman Building (Main State), contact YMCADiplototsEarlyLearning@ymcadc.org or 202-663-3555. Diplotots, Too located in the SA-17 building at the corner of 19 and F Streets NW offers children both interior and exterior play space as well as fun and educational classroom environments. Contact YMCADiplototsEarlyLearning@ymcadc.org or 202-485-6004 for more information.
- New electronic waitlist: As of March 1, 2021, both Diplotots One located at SA-1 and Diplotots, Too located at SA-17 are using Waitlist Plus to administer waitlists for enrollment at the Centers. Waitlist Plus is an electronic waitlist that allows each family to be added to both the Diplotots One and Diplotots, Too waitlists at the same time. There is a one-time waitlist fee of $25 per child for both centers. Families previously on waitlists at both centers have been automatically migrated to the new system and do not have to pay a new fee. Children on the waitlist will automatically move to each classroom waitlist as they become eligible for the next age group. Please note that waitlist rankings are constantly changing as families leave or join the waitlist. Siblings of children currently enrolled in either Diplotots One or Diplotots, Too are given preference for enrollment. Parents wishing to enroll children on the waitlist at Diplotots One or Diplotots, Too may begin the sign-up process. Diplotots child care offers tuition assistance for families that qualify. If the waitlist application fee is cost-prohibitive, please contact the Diplotots Board at email@example.com. Please contact Paloma.Jimenez@ymcadc.org with any questions regarding the waitlist.
- Foreign Service Institute Transition Center – Maintains a list of child care facilities and pre-schools near the Foreign Service Institute in Arlington, Virginia. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a current list.
- – Links to child care information for Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia
- – Helps families find child care, senior care, special needs care, tutoring and pet care
Preschool Resources in the Washington, DC Area
- (NAEYC) – Provides a search option to help you locate preschools within a 5-15 mile radius of your zip code
- – Has an extensive list of preschools for Maryland, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia
Child Care at Post
- Overseas Child Care Report – The availability of child care centers overseas varies greatly, as does the quality and cost of caregivers in the home. The Community Liaison Office Coordinator provides an updated Overseas Child Care Report annually. These reports are viewable via intranet. Contact the GCLO Education Team or the CLO for a copy of reports.
- Office of Overseas Schools – The Office of Overseas Schools provides a list of at-post schools which may have Pre-K programs available. Contact OverseasSchools@state.gov.
- – Can develop a personalized list of summer camps for members. All permanent Department of State employees and their family members are eligible to use the service. For login information, email GCLOAskEducation@state.gov.
- – Annual guide to camps for children with learning differences across the U.S. and in Canada.
- – Find a list of advisors committed to finding the best summer experience for your child.
Very Special Camps – Summer camps and programs for individuals with special needs. Locate camps based on campers particular requirements and criteria and by location throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- The Camp Experts and Teen Summers and their partners Camp Experts UK – Advisory services offering free advice on choosing sleep away camps, overnight camps, day camps, and speciality programs worldwide.
DC Summer Camps– Art, Sports, Academic and Specialty Camps
Summer Programs at Boarding Schools
Listings of private entities on this page are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department State or the U.S. government of the entity, its views or the products or services it provides. The order in which names appear has no significance, and the links may be removed at any time at the discretion of the Department.