An official website of the United States Government Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Guide to Overseas Employment

  • Obtain a Copy of the Family Member Employment Report (FAMER)

  • Contact Post Early

  • Reach Out to Your Global Employment Advisor (GEA)

  • Consider Applying for Special Employment Programs

  • Explore Training and Distance Learning Opportunities

  • Inquire About Teleworking Your Present Position

Employment Options

  • Family member employment overseas is divided into two categories:
    • Employment Inside the Mission refers to jobs held by family members working at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Specific eligibilities and requirements pertain to these positions.
    • Employment Outside the Mission refers to employment opportunities to include, but not limited to, self-employment, telework, jobs on the local economy, etc.

Family Member Employment Report

  • The FAMER is a biannual post-specific overview of both inside and outside the mission employment. It includes filled, pending, and vacant positions inside the mission or consulate as well as work permit information at the time of the report.
  • Ask your sponsoring employee to download the FAMER for your current or prospective post(s) from the Department of State intranet site or contact
  • FAMER reports are a useful resource when bidding if spousal employment is a priority when considering future assignments.
  • Watch a short video  to learn about useful employment resources.

Contact Post

  • The Community Liaison Office Coordinator (CLO) at post is a great source of information on post employment.
  • Let the CLO know you are interested in working. If you are interested in federal employment at post (inside the mission), contact the HR office at post to find out how jobs are advertised and when you can apply.
  • Request to be added to the CLO newsletter distribution list to view job announcements and employment information.

Global Employment Initiative

  • Global Employment Advisors (GEAs) provide free career coaching, resume assistance, networking support, and mock interview practice. They facilitate skills development for a job search inside the mission and on the local economy (outside the mission).

Special Employment Programs

Training and Distance Learning

  • Family members may enroll in employment classes at the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) Transition Center (TC) before going overseas. Not all agencies pay for training; contact your agency sponsor for approval and funding information.
  • Learn more about Training Resources for Family Members on our webpage.
  • Family members posted overseas may be eligible to apply for the Professional Development Fellowship (PDF), available to help maintain and expand your professional skills.


  • Finding employment overseas in your chosen field can be challenging. Telework can be one of the best ways to maintain your skills, salary, benefits, and professional contacts.
  • Discuss this option with your current employer. Contact HR at post regarding any restrictions and approvals.

Transitioning from the Civil Service to Overseas

  • Civil Service (CS) employees accompanying their U.S. government direct hire spouse abroad should consider all their options before moving overseas. These include: telework, Leave Without Pay (LWOP), separation, retirement/benefits, and the Foreign Service Family Reserve Corps (FSFRC).

U.S. Department of State

The Lessons of 1989: Freedom and Our Future