Basic Requirements for 319(b) Expeditious Naturalization
- The employee sponsor must have an overseas assignment (TMONE required).
- The orders must show at least one year remaining on the overseas assignment at the time USCIS receives the N-400 application.
- The applicant must be a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) before starting the naturalization process.
- The naturalization interview and ceremony must take place in the U.S.
- The applicant must depart the U.S. no more than 45 days after the naturalization interview to join the employee spouse at the overseas post.
- GCLO’s naturalization assistance is limited to Department of State spouses.
- Spouses of non-State employees should contact their own agency’s HR department for possible assistance.
- Spouses of DOS employees on domestic assignments are not eligible.
- Spouses of DOS employees serving most unaccompanied tours are not eligible; however, under certain situations, spouses of employees on TDY tours may be eligible. Contact GCLO to discuss your situation.
Note: If applying while living in the U.S., you should contact GCLO to begin the application process eight months prior to departure for an overseas post.