International Religious Freedom or Belief Alliance
A Multinational Effort to Protect and Advance Freedom of Religion or Belief Around the World
Follow the conversation using #IRFBA, #FoRBforAll
WHAT IS THE ALLIANCE?
- The Alliance is a network of like-minded countries fully committed to advancing freedom of religion or belief around the world. Alliance members must fully commit to the Declaration of Principles.
- The Declaration is grounded in Article 18 of the Universal Declaration for Human Rights, which states everyone has freedom to believe or not believe, to change faith, to meet alone for prayer or corporately for worship.
- Currently 33 countries have joined the Alliance: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Denmark, Estonia, The Gambia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Togo, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
WHAT DOES THE ALLIANCE DO?
- The Alliance is predicated on the idea more must be done to protect members of religious minority groups and combat discrimination and persecution based on religion or belief.
- The Alliance brings together senior government representatives to discuss actions their nations can take together to promote respect for freedom of religion or belief and protect members of religious minority groups worldwide.
CONTACTING THE ALLIANCE
The State Department’s Office of International Religious Freedom currently serves as the Secretariat of the Alliance, managing the meetings and information sharing between members. The Secretariat also consults with networks of subject matter experts and religious leaders, which inform the Alliance’s activities globally.
ACTIVITY HIGHLIGHTS AND MORE INFORMATION
September 10, 2021
July 22, 2021
December 1, 2020
NOVEMBER 17, 2020
September 22, 2020
August 20, 2020
SEPTEMBER 3, 2020
February 5, 2020
February 5, 2020 | Michael R. Pompeo