The international schools affiliated with the Department of State are independent, non-government institutions. Since they are not controlled by the U.S. government nor do they operate under any official administrative jurisdictional umbrella, they hire teachers and staff directly, establishing their own qualification standards and application procedures. Salary levels and benefit packages vary from school to school.
Many of the American-sponsored schools overseas contract with private organizations in the United States to assist in the professional staff recruitment process. The schools frequently send representatives to stateside teacher “recruiting fairs” to locate qualified staff for anticipated vacancies.
In addition to communicating with these organizations, you may wish to correspond directly with schools that match your specific interest. You may also want to check the schools’ web site as many now list recruiting information and their vacancies. For this purpose, you can connect to these schools via Schools Worldwide.
The Department of Defense, a separate U.S. Government agency, operates a school system for the benefit of dependents of U.S. military personnel stationed overseas. Recruitment of teachers for schools at military bases overseas is handled by the .
We hope this information proves to be useful. Please accept our best wishes as you pursue your search for a satisfying position in international education.
Some of the Regional Associations hold job fairs or post job openings available in their member schools. The links below lead to their respective employment pages.
Many international schools work with recruiting agencies who also hold job fairs. Check out the links below to see what these agencies have to offer.
The Family Liaison Office maintains information on current bilateral work agreement treaty texts and a list of bilateral work agreements and de facto work arrangements. To view the current agreements click on the information that is of interest to you on FLO’s work agreements site.
- University Lecturing and Advance Research:
- Teaching Assistantships and Fellowships for Study and Research:
- Teaching in Schools for Dependents of Military and Civilian Personnel:
- Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program
- Teachers of English as a Foreign Language, Directors of Courses, and Administrators in Bi-National Centers: Office of English Language Programs
- Teaching in National Elementary, Secondary, Normal, Vocational Schools and Universities (no teaching experience required):
Employment Verification is a Self Service My Biz tool allowing employees to email employment and/or salary information to an external organization (business, bank, credit union) directly from the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System (DCPDS)–via secure internet. For more information, visit
Student records and transcripts may be requested from several different sources, depending upon the student’s last date of attendance or graduation date. Below are the categories that you can choose from at .
- Student Graduated or Attended 4 or Less Years Ago – 2011 to present (not a Panama School)
- Student Graduated or Attended 5 or More Years Ago (not a Panama School)
- Student Graduated From or Attended a Recently Closed School (not a Panama School)
- Students Who Graduated or Attended a DoDDS Panama School (includes former Secondary Canal Zone Schools)
- Students Who Plan to Continue Education Abroad
- Panama Canal College Requests
- Graduation Verification for Potential Employers and Recruiters
- Elementary and Middle School Records (Open and Recently Closed)
- Council of International Schools
- Council of International Schools information on . Learn more including how to apply to become a CIS candidate and view educator vacancies.
- International Schools Services, Inc.
- (TIE) publishes a quarterly newspaper which lists vacancies in each issue and includes information on salaries, benefits, application procedures, and guidance on securing an overseas position
- : Association of International Educators is a member organization promoting international education and providing professional development opportunities to the field. It offers a job registry.