An official website of the United States Government Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Budget and Finance

MED/Budget is responsible for formulating MED’s annual budget, processing domestic medical claims of State Department and other Foreign Affairs Agencies, and funding overseas hospitalizations, examinations and medical evacuations of State Department employees and their eligible family members.

For more information:

  • Insurance related questions should be sent to
  • All Medical Claims related questions should be forwarded to
  • General Budget related issues (Budget, Vouchering, Invoice) please forward your inquires to
    • The telephone number for the Budget Section is 202-663-1886
    • Fax number for the Finance Section is 202-663-1661
    • Fax number for the Claims section is 202-663-3858

Medical Records

The health care record medium is rapidly changing, but the management of the health information itself will always be needed. The Medical Records section serves the Foreign Service by collecting, analyzing, and managing data vital for health care needs and making it accessible to health care providers and employees.

As some individuals may not have a copy of their health information, medical record services is qualified to handle all legitimate requests for copies of health information. Written requests may be submitted via fax at 703-875-4850 or mailed to the Office of Medical Services, Department of State, 2401 E St NW, Washington, DC 20522, Attn: Medical Records. Employees of the Department of State may also request their personal copy as well as copies of their underage children via the email at

Certificate of Incapacity

The Office of Medical Services (MED) issues a Certificate of Incapacity when a dependent is physically or mentally disabled and unable to be self-supporting and his/her sponsor must continue health insurance coverage. When the patient reaches the age of 22 the sponsor must submit additional medical documentation on the patient’s condition so that the dependent can remain under the sponsor’s (active/retired employee) health insurance coverage. The dependent may be given a temporary certificate or a permanent certificate. If the patient is issued a temporary certificate, approximately six months before the certificate expires, the sponsor must submit supporting medical documentation so that another certificate can be issued. If the patient is issued a permanent certificate, then no further action is needed.

For more information please contact:
Office of the Executive Director
(202) 663-1869

U.S. Department of State

The Lessons of 1989: Freedom and Our Future