Overseas - Working in a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

United States embassies and consulates overseas often have positions for family members of U.S. direct-hire employees posted to that country. The availability of these positions depends on the size of the Mission and current job openings. Watch the video Employment Strategies for useful resources for working inside the mission. 

Contact the Human Resources Officer and the Community Liaison Office Coordinator
Family members who wish to work within the embassy or consulate of their assigned post should contact the Community Liaison Office Coordinator (CLO) or the Human Resources Officer (HRO) at post. They can provide information on current vacancy announcements. The Family Liaison Office can provide contact information.

Understanding Hiring Mechanisms
Family members are hired at overseas Missions in a variety of ways. Read hiring mechanisms to understand which mechanism you qualify for. When accepting a position, family members should ask how they will be hired and for which benefits they are eligible. 

Earning Non-Competitive Eligibility While Serving in Jobs Inside the Mission
Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE): Information for Employers and Family Members

The Expanded Professional Associates Program (EPAP)
EPAP provides U.S. citizen Eligible Family Members (EFMs) serving overseas with 400 professional-level Foreign Service full-time positions in Economics, Facilities Management, Financial Management, General Services, Human Resources, Information Management, Medical, Management, Political, and Public Diplomacy. EPAP positions are centrally funded by the Department of State and are administered by the appropriate regional or functional bureau. Individual posts may also create post-funded ICASS positions with their regional bureau approval. Pay grades run from FP-07 to FP-01. For more information, go to the EPAP webpage. For questions, email FLOAskEPAP@state.gov.

Credentialing of Foreign Degrees for a United States Government Application
When applying for federal employment opportunities, education credentials from a foreign university will need to be verified for education equivalency. Go to the Credentialing of Foreign Degrees for a United States Government Application webpage for more information.

Family Member Employment Report (FAMER)
The FAMER provides a snapshot of family member employment at post; it includes the number of family members employed both inside and outside the Mission. The FAMER serves as a research tool during the bidding season for family members interested in working. For more information, contact the Family Liaison Office. Visit the Family Member Employment Statistics webpage for the most recent Worldwide FAMER Overview report.

Professional Associates Program (Hard-to-Fill)
The regular Foreign Service assignments process invariably leaves some overseas positions without sufficient qualified Foreign Service bidders. These positions are designated Hard-to-Fill (HTF) and are routinely opened to Department of State Civil Service employees and Appointment Eligible Family Members (AEFMs). The annual Hard-to-Fill Program for Professional Associates (AEFMs) and Civil Service employees is announced each spring by Department of State cable. General information is on the Professional Associates Program webpage. For specific questions, email FLOAskEmployment@state.gov.

Functional training is available for spouses interested in working inside the Mission. The Basic Consular course is one of the functional training opportunities.

The Transition Center at the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) offers classes designed to assist family members looking for work overseas.

More Training Opportunities for Foreign Service Family Members

Overseas Employment Checklist
Print the Quick Guide to Overseas Employment for a checklist of items for family members looking for a job overseas.

Career Management Advice and Important Job Information
The Family Liaison Office also offers career management advice and important job information relating to posts around the world. For information or an appointment, contact the Family Liaison Office.

Overseas Seasonal Hire Program for U.S. Foreign Service Family Members
The Overseas Seasonal Hire Program (OSHP) provides job opportunities for eligible* high school and college students of U.S. government employees working under Chief of Mission authority at an overseas post.  OSHP incumbents perform clerical and administrative support duties during the transfer season and other times during the year as determined by post. If your post has an OSHP, job opportunities for eligible* students may be available, depending upon post's budget.

*Eligibility generally applies to unmarried Eligible Family Member (defined in 3 FAM 7120) children who are at least 16 years of age, registered as full-time or part-time students, on the travel orders of a sponsoring employee (defined in 3 FAM 7120), and/or undertaking travel for which a U.S. government employee is authorized to receive an Education Travel Allowance as set forth in DSSR 280 if that child were to undertake study at a school away from post. Please see your Human Resources Office at post for more details about eligibility. 

Please note that the OSHP is different from the Department of State’s Student Internship Program. Foreign national students are not eligible for the OSHP and should apply to the Foreign National Student Intern Program (FNSIP). Contact post’s Human Resource Officer (HRO) or Community Liaison Office Coordinator (CLO) for more information about OSHP and FNSIP.

Government Agencies with Offices Overseas


Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office