Boarding School Options

There are a variety of boarding schools available to Foreign Service youth. If boarding school is in a child's future, parents can contact the Family Liaison Office (FLO) at FLO's Education and Youth Team can provide resources and information on boarding schools as well as the away-from-post education allowance.

First Steps for Sending Your Child to Boarding School

  • Start Early – The earlier the better. If you can, begin your research a year out. But if circumstances don’t allow you to start that early, please e-mail us at and we’ll help you with the process.
  • Check your Away from Post Allowance.
  • Research schools – you know your child’s needs best!
  • Gather the necessary documents your child needs to apply to boarding school (school transcripts, Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT), teacher recommendation letters, etc.).
  • Contact the school to speak with someone in the Admissions Office. Confirm that there is a slot open for your child.
  • Help your child apply to school.
  • Confirm your allowances situation with the Office of Allowances. E-mail
  • Register/enroll your child.
  • Fill in the SF-1190, and present it when you arrive at post.
  • Visit our Parent Advocacy page and see what suggestions we have about talking with school personnel.

Important Note: The Department of State requests that children of U.S. Foreign Service employees who attend a boarding school outside of the United States register with the American Embassy/Consulate in that country.

Where Do I Begin My Research?

Admissions Testing May Be Necessary – Be Sure to Check with Your School

The Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) – Offered by the Educational Testing Service. It consists of two parts: a brief essay, and a multiple-choice aptitude test which measures a student's ability to solve mathematics problems, to use language, and to comprehend what is read. The SSAT is frequently required for admission to boarding and other independent schools.

Department of State Offices

  • Family Liaison Office – contact the Education and Youth Team
  • Child and Family Program – for information about appropriate special needs facilities and approval for additional funding to meet the educational needs of children with special needs, e-mail
  • Office of Allowances – for information on the "away from post" education allowance.

FLO Web links for Education Options for Foreign Service Children (K-12)

Education Options Main Page
Education Allowances
Homeschooling and Online Education
Choices for High School: IB and AP
Public Schools in the Washington, DC Area
Private Schools in the Washington, DC Area
Summer Camp Resources


Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office