U.S. Government Job Openings
- Careers at the US Department of State - The U.S. Department of State is the lead U.S. foreign affairs agency. We begin our mission of diplomacy in Washington, DC, where we hire Foreign Service, Civil Service and Student employees to work at our offices in the United States and at nearly 265 posts abroad.
- Federal Government Job Openings Open to All Sources - The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) USAJobs website allows you to search by location, department, profession and salary range. Access to detailed job announcements and application instructions are provided. The site is updated frequently.
- Federal Hiring Process and Federal Resumes
Understanding Your Non-Competitive Status: Executive Order Eligibility
- Understanding Executive Order Eligibility - If the job you are applying for requires that you have non-competitive eligibility, read this document. If you have additional questions on how the process works, contact a member of the FLO employment team for more information at FLOAskEmployment@state.gov.
Professional Associates Program and Hard-to-Fill Positions
Local Government Employment Websites
- Government Jobs in Virginia
- Government Jobs in Maryland
- FLO maintains a listing of Job Search Websites.
- Find additional websites organized by the Transition Center's Career Transition Center (CTC) at the Foreign Service Institute under General Job Search Information.
- International Career Employment Weekly – Weekly newspaper has 500+ job vacancies. Jobs are listed by function - international development and assistance; international understanding, education, communication, exchange; etc. Includes domestic and international openings. Subscription required to view complete listings.
- International Employment Gazette – Hundreds of international jobs; organized by region with functional sub-headings. Subscription required. Website updated every business day.
- Opportunities in Public Affairs – Hard-copy newsletter published twice monthly. Some vacancies accessible on website for free, but must subscribe to see entire list.
- The NonProfit Times – Subscription newspaper (with some job vacancies) published twice monthly. Free access to jobs on the website; resumes may also be posted on this site.
- The Foreign Policy Association Jobs Board newsletter – Once a week newsletter listing hundreds of jobs in the foreign policy and non-profit communities. Free subscription.
Training and Distance Learning
- Training / Workshop / Distance Learning
- Government and Private Distance Learning Courses
- Adult Education
Subscribe to FLO Newsletters
- FLO Weekly – News, resources and more from the Family Liaison Office. Includes upcoming events and other information from FLO's Employment team. To subscribe email FLOPublications@state.gov.
- The Network – FLO's email subscription service for Foreign Service family members seeking employment in the Washington D.C. area
Information provided by the Family Liaison Office.
Contact the Family Liaison Office