Naturalization for Children

Although the Family Liaison Office (FLO) provides assistance to spouses of U.S. government direct hire employees who are regularly posted abroad with naturalization, FLO cannot assist with naturalization of children living abroad. In order for children to naturalize (derive citizenship) at the same time as their biological parent, they must meet all of the requirements below.

  • The child is under 18 years of age.
  • The child is currently residing in the U.S. and is in the legal and physical custody of the newly naturalized U.S. citizen biological parent (note that living overseas on government orders does not constitute as residing in the U.S.). The child and parent must have established residence in the U.S.; they cannot be visiting from overseas.
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident.

If an expeditious naturalization applicant is residing overseas, his or her children will not automatically derive citizenship when their biological parent naturalizes. Residency in the U.S. must be established. Once U.S. residency is established, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recommends filing an N-600 so the child can receive his or her own certificate of citizenship.

In limited circumstances, a child living overseas may be able to pursue naturalization by filing an N-600K. Examples include when the child has a biological grandparent who is a U.S. citizen or the child was legally adopted by their U.S. citizen stepparent.

USCIS Online Resources