About Diplomatic Security
As the Department of State's law enforcement and security arm, the Bureau of Diplomatic Security does not formulate foreign policy. Instead, it is charged with a two-pronged mission: To ensure the integrity of U.S. travel documents and to provide a safe and secure environment for the conduct of U.S. foreign policy.
Not only is Diplomatic Security a unique organization in the foreign affairs community -- it is the only law enforcement agency with representation in nearly every country in the world.
Learn more about DS:
- The Diplomatic Security Service: U.S. Diplomacy's Global Force (2016 annual report) PDF Version / Text Version)
- History of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security of the United States Department of State
- DSS Then & Now: The First Century of the Diplomatic Security Service
- Listening In: Electronic Eavesdropping in the Cold War Era
- Partners in Diplomacy: DS Marine Security Guard Exhibit