Worldwide Import and Quarantine Restrictions

For U.S. Government employees and family members ONLY

  • Visit or e-mail the  Overseas Briefing Center (OBC) to inquire about pet entry requirements for your post assignment.
  • Notify the post that you will be bringing a pet and what kind.

For the general public traveling outside the United States with pets:

  • Take a look at the very useful list of International Animal Export Regulations compiled by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  • Check the requirements to see how close to departure the required veterinarian examination, shots, and tests must be scheduled.
  • Call the appropriate embassy in Washington, DC to confirm the entry requirements for the country you are moving to. Some embassies will provide forms printed in English and in the host language for your veterinarian to complete. Some countries do not permit importation or have long quarantine requirements .
  • Arrange with your veterinarian for required shots and certificates within the specified time period.(Even though not always required, it is recommended that you include shots for distemper and hepatitis).
  • Pet Travel lists import information for about 100 countries. (This is an external link for informational purposes only and does not indicate endorsement by the U.S. Government of the site, the accuracy of information it contains, or its privacy policies.)