REFERENCES (from category pages in blue above)
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) (2005). "Learn to Say Goodbye: Strategies for Coping with Loss." Retrieved December 2005 from www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) (2005). "How to Deal with Grief" Retrieved December 2005 from www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) (2005). "Tips for Managing and Preventing Stress." Retrieved December 2005 from www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov.
- Bochner, S. (2003). Culture shock due to contact with unfamiliar cultures. In W. J. Lonner, D. L. Dinnel, S. A. Hayes, & D. N. Sattler (Eds.), Online Readings in Psychology and Culture (Unit 8, Chapter 7), (http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/orpc ), Center for Cross-Cultural Research, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington USA.
- Bryson, Debra R. and Charise M. Hoge (2003). A Portable Identity. Park Publications: Georgetown, Texas.
- Hess, Melissa Brayer and Patricia Linderman (2007). The Expert Expatriate: Your Guide to Successful Relocation Abroad. Nicholas Brealey Publishing: Boston, MA.
- Matsumoto, David, Satoko Hirayama, and Jeffery A. LeRoux. (2005). "Psychological Skills Related to Intercultural Adjustment" Chapter to appear in Paul T. P. Wong and Lillian C. J. Wong (Eds.), Handbook of Multicultural Perspectives on Stress and Coping. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishing. Retrieved August 2012 at www.davidmatsumoto.info
- Sheldon, Kennon M., Andrew J. Elliot, Youngmee Kim, and Tim Kasser. (2001 February). What Is Satisfying about Satisfying Events? Testing 10 Candidate Psychological Needs [Electronic Version]. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 80, 2, 325-339. Retrieved August 2012 at www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/psp802325.pdf.
- Moore , J. (n.d.). Characteristics of Resilience. Retrieved from www.co.sarasota.fl.us/tpm/documents/OEDdocuments/Documents_PDF/GeneralDocs/Characteristics of Resilience.pdf
- Association, A. (2012). 10 Tips to Build Resilience. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 24, 2012, from http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/10-tips-to-build-resilience
- Chan, Sucheng. (1994). Introduction in Chan, Sucheng (Ed.) Hmong Means Free: Life in Laos and America [Electronic version.] Temple University Press. Retrieved December 2005 at www.hmongnet.org/publications/hmf-intro.html
- Kealey, Daniel J. (2002 May). "Research on Intercultural Effectiveness and Its Relevance to Multicultural Crews in Space." Presented at the Canadian Space Agency International Workshop on Group Interactions, Banff, Alberta. Retrieved December 2005 from www.international.gc.ca/cfsi-icse/cil-cai/pdf/s-e-eng.pdf
- Neto, F. (1994). Le stress d' acculturation chez des jeunes d'origine portugaise en France. Enfance, 1, 83-94 quoted in "Social adaptation difficulties of adolescents with immigrant backgrounds," 2002. Retrieved December 2005 at www.mendeley.com/research/social-adaptation-difficulties-adolescents-immigrant-backgrounds.
- Ward, C., & Kennedy, A. (1994). Acculturation strategies, psychological adjustment, and sociocultural competence during cross-cultural transitions. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 18, 3, 329-343, quoted in "Social adaptation difficulties of adolescents with immigrant backgrounds," 2002. Retrieved December 2005 at www.mendeley.com/research/social-adaptation-difficulties-adolescents-immigrant-backgrounds.
ONLINE CROSS-CULTURAL TRAINING RESOURCES
- Cross-Cultural Bibliography
- CultureGrams - Contact the OBC for user name and password
- Intercultural Effectiveness - presented by the Center for Intercultural Learning, Foreign Affairs ad Internartional Trade CANADA
- Country insights from a Canadian viewpoint
- www.everyculture.com - Countries and their cultures (includes cultures by both ethnicity and nationality)
- www.cyborlink.com/besite - Business etiquette for 31 countries with Geert Hofstede analysis
- International Gift Giving
SKILLSOFT GENERAL LIBRARY COURSES
The Foreign Service Institute's distance learning program offers a number of cross-cultural and culture-specific courses for State Department employees and eligible family members. Register for our Skillsoft General Library courses on the intranet (or have the employee in the family register for you) ; once registered, all courses are available via the Internet. View courses related to cultural learning.
OTHER FSI DISTANCE LEARNING
Learn about the cultures of Egypt, Armenia, and Russia (coming soon) through distance learning courses offered by the Foreign Service Institute. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at (703) 302-7144 or (703) 302-7137.
- Banks, A., & Evans, N. (1999). Goodbye, house: A kid’s guide to moving.
- Roman, B.D. (2000). Relocation 101: Making the most of your move. (revised edition). Bethlehem, PA: BR Anchor Publishing. (OBC)
- Adams, K.G. (1994). Moving: A complete checklist and guide for relocation. San Diego, CA: Silvercat Publications. (OBC)
- Raymond , R. J., Eliot, S. V., & Mercer, M. (1980). Grow your roots anywhere, anytime. (1 ed.). Rawson Association.
- Hart, R. (2012). Preparing for your move abroad: Relocating, settling in and managing culture shock (culture smart!). London, U.K.: Kuperand.
- Sano, H. (1990). Research and social difficulties in cross-cultural adjustment: Social situational analysis. Japanese Journal of Behavioral Therapy, 16, 37-44.
- Sussman, N. M. (2002). Sojourners to another country: The psychological roller-coaster of cultural transitions. In W. J. Lonner, D. L. Dinnel, S. A. Hayes, & D. N. Sattler (Eds.), Online Readings in Psychology and Culture (Unit 8, Chapter 1), www.wwu.edu/culture. Center for Cross-Cultural Research, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington USA.
- Various. Culture Shock Series. Portland, OR: Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company (OBC)
- Various. Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture Series. London, U.K.: Kuperard. (OBC) www.kuperard.co.uk
- Cultural Awareness www.culturalawareness.com
- Logistics: Checklist for FS Families with College-Aged Children. Overseas Briefing Center Handout. 2012. (INTRANET ONLY and HARDCOPY AVAILABLE AT OBC) http://fsi.state.gov/fsi/tc/document.asp?FileID=2023
- Axtell, R.E. (1991). Gestures: The DO’s and TABOOs of body Language around the world. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (OBC)
- Kohls, R. L. (2001). Survival kit for overseas living. (4 ed.). Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Publishing. (OBC)
- Storti, C. (2007). Art of crossing cultures. (2 ed.). London, U.K.: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. (OBC)
- Pascoe, R. (2009). A broad abroad: The expat wife's guide to successful living abroad. Vancouver, BC: Expatriate Press Limited.
- Roman, B.D. (1999). Home away from home: Turning your international relocation into a lifetime enhancement. Bethlehem, PA: BR Anchor Publishing. (OBC)
- Martins , A., Hepworth, V., & Pascoe, R. (2011). Expat women: Confessions - 50 answers to your real-life questions about living abroad. Cotton Tree, AU: Expat Women Enterprises Pty Ltd ATF Expat Women.
- Marx, E. (1999). Breaking through culture shock. London, U.K.: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. (OBC)
- It’s Your Move. Booklet from the Department of State's Division of Travel and Transportation.
- Bennett, M. J. (1998). Basic Concepts of Intercultural Communication. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press. (OBC)
- Nolan, R.W. (1999) Communicating and Adapting Across Cultures: Living and Working in the Global Village. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc.
- A Profile of the Interculturally Effective Person. Centre for Intercultural Learning-Canadian Foreign Service Institute. 2000.
- The Challenge of Change. Family Liaison Office (FLO). 2003.
- Thriving as a Foreign Service Spouse. Family Liaison Office (FLO). 1997.
- Robideau, R. (2012). At Home Anywhere: Six proven expat secrets for making yourself at home in any foreign country.
- 10 Commandments for Expats
- Kittel-Thong, G. (2011). Expatriate Relocation: How to Manage the Emotional Issues When Relocating. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- The Road to Resilience (Discovery Health/ APA)
- Family Resiliency: Building Strengths to meet life’s challenges
- Resiliency Quiz- how Resilient are you? www.resiliencycenter.com/resiliencyquiz.shtml
- Department of State Office of Medical Services (INTRANET ONLY)
- 10 Tips for Resilience in a Time of War
THIRD CULTURE KIDS (TCKS)
- Foreign Service Youth Foundation (FSYF) - www.fsyf.org
- TCKWorld: The Official Home of Third Culture Kids - www.tckworld.com
- TCKLife: Resources site for Third Culture Kids - www.tcklife.com
- Third Culture Kids. Family Liaison Office (FLO) - www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c21995.htm
Foreign Service Family Concerns
- Bird, J. & Bird L. (1982). To live as family, an experience of love and bonding. New York, NY: Image.
- Briggs, D. (1988). Your Childs Self Esteem. New York, NY: Three Rivers Press.
- Dinkmeyer, D. & McKay, G.D. (1996). Raising a Responsible Child. New York, NY: Fireside.
- Kuzma, K. (1980). Prime time parenting. New York, NY: Rawson, Wade Publishers, Inc.
- Lamb, M. E. (2010). The Role of the Father in a Child Development. (5 ed.). New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- McLaughlin, B. (1978). Second Language Acquisition in Childhood. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Roosevelt, R. & Logas, J. (1973). Living in Step. Stein & Day Publishing.
- Schaefer, C.E. and Millman, H.L. (1994). How to help children with common problems. New York, NY: Plume Group.
- Werkman, S. (1977). Bringing up children overseas. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Werkman, S. (1977). Bringing up children overseas: a guide for families. New York, NY. Basic Books. (FSI Library)
- Pollock, D. & Van Recken, R. (2009). Third Culture Kids: Growing up among worlds (revised edition). London, UK: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. (OBC)
- Pascoe, R. (2006). Raising Global Nomads: Parenting Abroad in an On-Demand World. Vancouver, B.C.: Expatriate Press Ltd. (OBC)
- Roman, B. D. (1999) Footsteps around the World: Relocation Tips for Teens. Wilmington, NC: BR Anchor Publishing (OBC)
- Eidse, F. & Sichel, N. (2003). Unrooted Childhoods: Memoirs of Growing Up Global. London, UK: Nicholas Brealey Publishing (OBC)
- Sant-Hart, H. (2010). Home keeps moving. Hagerstown, MD: McDougal Publishing Company. (OBC)
ALL AROUND GOOD RESOURCES
- International Communication: Ways to Stay in Touch. Overseas Briefing Center Handout. 2012.
- Linderman, P., Hess, M.B. & Nice, M.M. (2007). Realities of Foreign Service Life (Volume 2). Lincoln, OR: iUniverse, Inc. (OBC)
- Kennedy, C.S. & Morgan, W.D. (2004). American Diplomats: Foreign Service at Work. Lincoln, OR: iUniverse, Inc. (FSI Lib)
- The Values Americans Live By. Kohls, Robert L.
All non-U.S. Government links are for informational purposes only and do not imply endorsement of the sites or their privacy policies.