Transition Assistance - After Retirement

Career Transition Center (FSI/TC/CTC)

  • CTC Counselors are also available for consultations by telephone, email, snail mail, and in person: contact or (703) 302-7407.


  • Your alma mater may offer free career consultations and/or networking connections with other alums. Check with the alumni office.
  • Career centers at community colleges often offer excellent services to local residents for nominal fees or free. Find community colleges at:

U.S. Department of Labor

  • The U.S. Department of Labor has established "One Stop Career Centers" nationwide. Some are great resources for professionals, others are just a new name for unemployment offices. Locate One Stops at:

Counselors & Coaches

  • The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) has a list of members whose focus is career development, as well as other areas of practice. Find a counselor through NBCC at CounselorFind.
  • The National Career Development Association has begun to identify Master Career Counselors (MCC). Find MCCs at: and click on "Need a Career Counselor?"
  • The International Coach Federation lists coaches by specialty areas, one of which is career coaching. Find a coach through ICF at:
  • Coach University trains coaches and also helps individuals find coaches. Find a coach through Coach U at:
  • Online career counseling by National Certified Counselors is now available to career changers and job seekers. Find an online career counselor at:


Resources from

More Resources

  • The National Institute of Transition Planning (NITP) lists radio shows through Federal News Radio, webinars, and other programs with a focus on retirement planning at
  • Visit the National Association of Retired and Federal Employees at

Retirement Services for Department of State Personnel

Department of State Office of Retirement (HR/RET) - Manages post-retirement benefits adjustments (Foreign Service) and answers complex retirement-related questions from employees and annuitants. or (202) 261-8980.

Office of Personnel Management (OPM) - Civil Service retirements and annuitant services. or email or (202) 606-1800. 

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) - Information on Thrifts Savings Plan and processing of applications for TSP withdrawals. or (877) 968-3778 (toll free).

Social Security Administration (SSA) - Information on social security benefits and adjudication of application for social security benefits. or (800)772-1213.

Annuitant Employee Express - Online changes to direct deposit, allotments, Federal/State tax withholdings, home address changes.  Log on to after OPM mails your PIN after retirement. (478) 757-3030 for lonon problems.

The above links are for informational purposes only and in no way constitute an endorsement, expressed or implied, by the Department of State. Links to websites outside the U.S. federal government or the use of trade, firm, or corporation names are for the convenience of the user and do not constitute an official endorsement or approval of any private sector website, product, service, or privacy policy.