Transition Center in the News
Transition Center e-News
- December 2016 - FSI's Self-Defense Course is Basic, Hands-On, Applicable Everywhere
- April 2016 - Video Views - FSOs Get a Glimpse of Onward Postings
- November 2015 - Language Lesson- Course Helps with Raising Bilingual Children (Page 12)
- October 2014 - Pet Smarts: FSI Class Addresses Travelers' Concerns (Page 31)
- May 2013 - Promoting Resilience: Department Programs Help FS Staff Bounce Back (page 10)
- April 2012 - Mid-Career Retirement Planning (page 19)
- February 2012 - Matters of the Heart (Singles in the Foreign Service) (page 35)
- June 2011 - Speaking Out: Outbrief participants give program ringing endorsement (page 12)
- April 2011 - Helping Those Who Serve in Some of Our Most Challenging Posts (page 2)
- June 2010 - The Transition Center - One Stop Shop (page 24)
- December 2007 - Post Info To Go: Details on posts, Living Conditions Available Online (page 17)
- October 2007 - Transition Center Aids Iraq, Afghanistan Returnees (page 24)
Foreign Service Journal
Around the World: FSYF Newsletter for Parents and Families
- Raising Resilient Children in the Foreign Service
- Internet Safety for Your Foreign Service Child
- Fire Safety is a Must for the Whole Family
- Radio Checks and Foreign Service Children
Worldwide Employee Relocation Council (WERC) – Mobility Magazine
National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association
- June 2015 – Foreign Service: Global Opportunities, Personal Challenges – Transition Center Job Search Program
Presentations by Transition Center (TC) Staff
- June 10, 2015 – “Resilience”, Asian American Government Executives Network, Alexandria, VA. Presentation by Ray Leki.
- March 11, 2015 – Intercultural Management Institute Conference at American University, Leading Through Change: Preparing Global Leaders to Thrive. This presentation by TC staff introduced participants to the Resilience Model and the use of powerful questions to coach peers and colleagues through transition in constantly changing world. Participants put into practice what they learned through two role plays, in which the participant used the Resilience Model to coach a character through a situation they were facing to encourage resilience and the ability to thrive. Twenty people attended the session.
- December 9, 2014 – Regional CLO Training, Johannesburg, Presentation by Sean McKee
- November 3, 2014 – Hubert Humphrey Fellows, FSI trainers from the Transition Center and the Leadership and Management School teamed up to train 150 Hubert Humphrey fellows assembled from their academic programs throughout the country for intensive training on resilience and leadership in the context of global climate change.
- September 23, 2014 – Regional CLO Training, Frankfurt, Presentation by Maureen Johnston
- March 21, 2014 – Families in Global Transition, Keynote Address. Presented by FSI/TC Director Ray Leki.
- March 14, 2014 – Intercultural Management Institute (IMI) Conference on Intercultural Relations, Leading Through Change: Preparing Global Leaders to Thrive. Co-presented by FSI/TC/T Senior Trainer Laura Miller.
- November 8, 2013 - Inculcating Long-term Intercultural and Leadership Learning Competence, Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research (SIETAR-USA) annual conference. Presented by FSI/TC Director Ray Leki.
- March 15, 2013 - Healing the World-weary and Jaded: Developing Long-term Resilience for Intercultural Sojourners, 14th annual Intercultural Management Institute (IMI) Conference on Intercultural Relations, American University. Presented by FSI TC Director Ray Leki.
- October 5, 2012 - International Assignment Preparation: Insights from the Department of State and USAID, Worldwide Employee Relocation Council (W-ERC)'s Global Workforce Symposium. Presented by TC Staff Members.
- March 29 - 31, 2012 - Strategies for Managing Expatriate and Family Risk, Families in Global Transition (FIGT) annual conference. Presented by TC staff members. Explored two key elements impacting safety and productivity: selection and preparation. TC shared best practices and basic tips that can mitigate the risks faced abroad. Another session, Best Practices Discussion of Safety and Security Awareness, provided an open-discussion to allow participants to share ideas and discuss how to raise the security and safety awareness of employees and families.
- March 15 - 16, 2012 - Intercultural Management Institute (IMI) Conference on Intercultural Relations, American University. Two workshops: Positive Relationships: A World Together, A World Apart and Meaning and Spirituality in Resilience Across Cultures. Presented by FSI/TC Director Ray Leki and TC staff members.
AAFSW’s Foreign Service Companion Book: Moving Your Household Without Losing Your Mind
- 2013 – “Packing for Ordered Evacuation" by Archana Dheer
Contributions made to the following Articles Authored Outside of the Transition Center
- April 2014 – Retirement Begins Before Retiring, Foreign Service Journal, by Larry Cohen, p. 47
- March-April 2014 – Retirement Planning – "I Wish I Had Known Earlier", by Todd Thurwatcher, AFSA, Vo. 28 No. 2 p. 1-2