Overseas Briefing Center (OBC)
WE PARTNER WITH THE FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMUNITY TO FOSTER SUCCESSFUL TRANSITIONS
RESEARCH life at overseas posts
LEARN the logistical requirements of a move
FIND resources to help navigate the foreign affairs lifestyle
What People Are Saying About OBC:
"Love that place. Such friendly staff - they don't just sit behind the desk waiting for questions - they reach out and offer their help. Fabulous resource!"
"The Overseas Briefing Center is a great resource. I will certainly be back - even if my assignment is domestic!"
"The OBC was a wonderful resource for my wife and I as we researched posts. The information was very useful and the OBC team members were great!"
The Overseas Briefing Center (OBC) assists U.S. Government employees and their family members with preparation for an assignment to a U.S. Mission abroad and a return to the United States. To support entry into the Foreign Affairs community, transitions from post to post, and a U.S.-based assignment, the OBC creates, curates, and collects resources for successful transitions. Specialties include bidding and assignments research, general move logistics, pet shipping, advice on allowances, and expert "one-on-one" assistance.
Programs and services include:
- BIDDING TOOLS / CALCULATORS / RESEARCH - learn about over 260 posts worldwide
- POST INFO TO GO - Do your bidding and assignments research online
- POST INFO TO GO for ELIGIBLE FAMILY MEMBERS (EFMs) - through a dedicated internet network
- PERSONAL POST INSIGHTS - anonymous feedback on posts worldwide
- POST VIDEOS
- PET SHIPPING ADVICE - Import and Quarantine Restrictions, Airline Restrictions, International Country Pet Guidelines
- LOGISTICAL INFORMATION - (Preparing to Go Overseas Checklists)
- OVER 100 HANDOUTS AND PUBLICATIONS created by OBC staff and collected from our partner offices
- RESOURCES FOR TRANSITION TO THE UNITED STATES after an overseas assignment
- CULTURAL RESOURCES for learning about foreign cultures, culture shock, and the culture of the international lifestyle
- IN-CENTER BRIEFING MATERIALS AND RESEARCH ASSISTANCE
- RESOURCE EXPERTS who address individual concerns (in person, by phone, or via email).