Publications and Online Resources
- Foreign Service Assignment Notebook: What Do I Do Now? - a comprehensive guide to preparing for an overseas move.
- Where in the World Are You Going? (PDF) - activity book to help children ages four to nine prepare for overseas moves.
- So You’re an American? A Guide to Answering Difficult Questions Abroad is an online resource for all Americans living and working abroad who are eager to prepare for the many informal and unofficial questions they will receive while overseas. It is designed to build skills and confidence in responding to difficult questions about culture and nationality.
- Analysis of Culture (PDF) by Edward T. Hall, Jr. and George L. Trager – this article constructs a framework of culture analysis which examines the content, structure, integration, and configurations of culture; and syntheses of cultural systems.
- The Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training (ADST) has a Country and Subject Reader Series that provides a chronological, historical overview through a series of oral interviews regarding a particular country or policy subject.
- Protocol for the Modern Dipomat (PDF) - a booklet designed to help readers master the basics of diplomatic protocol,
- Realities of Foreign Service Life - for all employees and family members of U.S. Government employees headed or already overseas. This resource provides users a true insight into what it is like to be part of the diplomatic community overseas and familiarizes them with the challenges and opportunities of this internationally mobile lifestyle.
- Overseas Crisis Readiness - to help U.S. Government families and members of household prepare for a crisis overseas.
- Special Education Needs Overseas Seminar - videos and resources for understanding how to proactively plan for a child's educational needs while overseas.
- View the Training Toolkit for Foreign Affairs Agency Employees and Eligible Family Members.
Reference Materials and Recommended Reading
- Glossary of Terms and Acronyms (PDF) - the symbols you need to know, from A (Bureau of Administration) to WTO (World Trade Organization).
- YAHOO and Group Listings and Foreign Service Blogs
- Foreign Affairs Offices and Organizations
- LGBT+ Community in the Foreign Service (PDF) - A listing of Department of State and non-governmental resources, organizations, and groups relating to the LGBT+ Foreign Service community.
- Language Lesson- Course Helps with Raising Bilingual Children By Fauve Johnson, State Magazine, November 2015.