Webinar: Special Education Needs Overseas Seminar (MQ118)
This seminar was created to specifically meet the needs of FS families that need to understand and navigate Department of State services available overseas to children with special needs. Participants will hear from all DOS offices that provide support and services to these families, and have the opportunity to speak privately with these specialists about schooling, allowances, medical clearances, etc.
"This was a great opportunity to get information and personalized advice. Very helpful!"
"This was so helpful! The time to speak with experts and talk about specific concerns was so valuable."
Course Dates and Times
15 November 2017 10:00 AM ET – 11:15 AM ET
18 July 2018 10:00 AM ET – 11:15 AM ET
This is a non-tuition course.
Seeking Interest in State Department Affinity Group for FS Families with Special Needs Children
A group of Foreign Service employees with special needs children are in the process of forming an affinity group within the State Department. The mission of the group will be to provide a collective voice when interacting with Department management on issues of concern, including policies and practices regarding the Special Needs Education Allowance, MED clearance for overseas assignments, and so forth. Such groups have proven to be an effective means of engaging with State Department management to advocate for needed change. If you would like to learn more about this initiative or get involved, please contact Mark Evans at email@example.com
Virtual Resource Table
The following links and documents represent materials made available at the resource table during the class.
Articles and Online Resources:
- Only Connect! Meeting the Challenges of Special Needs Students By Tammie Gandy, Foreign Service Journal June 2011 (Pgs 90-105)
- Special Needs Kids and the Foreign Service: Dispelling Myths by Pamela Ward, Foreign Service Journal June 2008 (Pgs 91-94)
- FAQ: Educating Special Needs Children Overseas By Francesca Huemer Kelly, Foreign Service Journal June 2006 (Pgs 80-92)
- Taking a Special Needs Child Overseas? What to Know Before You Go By Rebecca Grappo, M.Ed.
- Telepractice: Answer to the Special Ed Puzzle Overseas? By Erin Long, Foreign Service Journal, June 2012
- Med's Child and Family Program, Explained by Dr. Kathy Gallardo, September 2016
- Online Resources for behavioral supports, college planning, social skills, and more
- Resources for Kids
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
Office of Overseas Schools: www.state.gov/m/a/os
- Overseas Schools Offering Support to Children with Special Needs (PDF)
- Resources for Special Needs
- Transitioning to an Overseas Assignment with a Special Needs Child
- Office of Overseas Schools Contact List
Office of Allowances: http://aoprals.state.gov
- Education Allowances (DSSR 270)
- FAQs: Education Allowances
- FAQs: Supplementary Instruction
- FAQs: Home Study/Private Instruction
- FAQs: Educational Travel
Family Liaison Office: www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo
Office of Medical Services: www.state.gov/m/med/index.htm
- Employee Consultation Services
- Child and Family Program (new as of June 1, 2013)
- CFP on OpenNet
- CFP Common FAQs
- SNEA on Diplopedia [Intranet]
HR Bureau Webinars on Special Needs Education Allowance
- Special Needs Education Allowance (SNEA)
- Special Needs Education Allowance Q&A
- Special Needs Education Allowance 2nd Q&A
- Gifted Education, Family Liaison Office (FLO)