Middle East Regional Irrigation Management Information System (MERIMIS) Program Evaluation
This evaluation was performed between September 2015 and April 2016 and the report was submitted on 05/25/2016.
Purpose of the Evaluation and Questions Addressed
This evaluation was performed by eScience and Technology Solutions, Inc. (eSTS) upon request from Department of State (DoS) Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs. The assessment was qualitative in nature and addressed the questions of: (1) the presence and level of cooperation between Israeli and participating Arab partners; and (2) the extent to which the MERIMIS program contributed to economic development in the region.
The evaluation was conducted through: survey of program participants and review of program documentation. Information about the MERIMIS program, its workshops, and projects was obtained through review of program documentation and the www.merimis.org website and from files maintained by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the implementing agency. Additional data was collected through use of a 52 question survey. Responses were collected through the distribution of Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF versions of the survey as well as through Survey Monkey site. The overall response rate was about 56%, with an even distribution of respondents across the region.
- MERIMIS advanced multilateral cooperation through the creation of multiple opportunities of scientific knowledge transfer among Middle Eastern participants.
- MERIMIS successfully supports developing country participants with the provision of equipment.
- All participants received assistance in standing up necessary equipment.
- Transfer of knowledge to farmers could use further investment.
- Increasing technology adoption and diffusion will allow MERIMIS to have a greater economic impact on the region.