Global Music Diplomacy Initiative
Music: it gives voice to democratic ideals, to the powerful and the powerless, across borders and beyond barriers, and to generations of citizens – from all walks of life – worldwide.
Since world renowned composer Aaron Copland headed to South America during World War II and the more widely known Jazz Ambassadors sang scat behind the Iron Curtain from the 1950s through early 1970s, the United States called upon American musicians and artists to use music as a diplomatic tool to promote peace and democracy. Now, the United States is elevating music even further through public-private partnerships with American companies and non-profits, to use music to meet the moment, convey American leadership globally, and create connections with people worldwide.
On September 27, 2023, the U.S. Department of State launched the Global Music Diplomacy Initiative, which builds on existing music diplomacy efforts and delivers upon on the bipartisan Promoting Peace, Education, and Cultural Exchange (PEACE) Through Music Diplomacy Act that President Biden signed into law last year. This Act called on the Department to use public-private partnerships to support music diplomacy. In addition, at the September 27 launch, the Department announced the first Peace Through Music Award. The award recognizes and honors an American music industry professional, artist, or group, that has played an invaluable role in cross-cultural exchanges and whose musical work advances peace and mutual understanding globally.
Public Diplomacy Exchanges and Programs
Remarks and Releases
- November 6, 2023 U.S. Department of State Brings International Musicians to Cleveland, the Home of Rock and Roll, to Promote Peace and Cross-Cultural Connections
- September 27, 2023 Secretary Antony J. Blinken At the Launch of the Global Music Diplomacy Initiative
- September 27, 2023 U.S. Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken Launches Global Music Diplomacy Initiative, Music Icon and Former U.S. Jazz Ambassador Music Director Quincy Jones Receives Inaugural Peace Through Music Award
- September 22, 2023 Secretary Blinken to Deliver Remarks at the Global Music Diplomacy Initiative Launch
- September 21, 2023 Leading American and International Musical Artists to Perform at Launch of U.S. Department of State’s Global Music Diplomacy Initiative